Re: Tour Picturesque Middle-Earth

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
      Cute Mary.

      OK, Rivendell. Because it reminds me of a good con. You know, too much food &
      drink, storytelling and singing, and deep wonderful discussions far into the
      night.

      Lisa

      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      >
      > Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
      > stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
      >
      > Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
      > weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
      > Rivendell.
      >
      > Splitting your time is not allowed. To qualify, please submit your choice
      > between these two and briefly give reasons for your preference.
      >
      > Dunedain Travel Bureau

      > The Literary Guild� offers you half off publishers' edition prices on
      > the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2 + 1 free with
      > membership. Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
        Mary wrote:

        >> Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
        >> stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
        >>
        >> Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
        >> weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
        >> Rivendell.

        Rivendell. I'm not an "outdoors" person.

        Joan

        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
        List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
          In a message dated 7/15/99 3:26:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
          lisa@... writes:

          > Cute Mary.

          Thanks, Lisa. Others? I should have said, "you can win a chance in the
          Lottery..."

          The idea came to me as I am re-reading LOTR, so far only in Vol I: I enjoyed
          coming to Rivendell so much, but remembered that Lothlorien too has its call
          and its appeal... I wondered which people would prefer.

          The rule that you can't have both is just a piece of evil TORRRTURRRRRE <eg>
        • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
            Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.

            Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
            had better speak up!

            David Bratman
          • David Lenander
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
              Well, I put "To live in Caras Galadon" (is that how it's spelled? I probably
              knew then) as my "Ambition" for the high school year book. But I've never felt
              ready, yet, for that, somehow. I think Rivendell seems a lot easier to take, we
              aren't really ready for Lothlorien, it's more rarified, heavenly, otherworldly
              and also perilous, I think. Elrond's House is the Last Homely House,
              Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I think.

              Of course, I already live in Rivendell....

              I'm not sure that Rivendell can really boast "more music," or even, necessarily,
              "better food." But David's "More books" is pretty persuasive. Of course,
              Lothlorien is a lot closer to Fangorn, and I'd really like to visit there, as
              well....

              If anyone is going to Lothlorien because he has the "hots for Galadriel" I'd
              advise that he NOT "speak up," and probably Rivendell would be a much safer
              destination.

              Responding to the message of <199907160420.EAA17707@...>
              from mythsoc@onelist.com:

              > From: d.bratman@...
              >
              > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
              >
              > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
              > had better speak up!
              >
              > David Bratman

              > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
              > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
              > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

              > .

              David Lenander
              293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
              St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
              fax: (612)626-2454
              e-mail: d-lena@...

              Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
              http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
            • Diane Baker
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                Rivendell for me, too, for the reasons Lisa named. I definitely do not
                have the hots for Galadriel. Now, Celeborn, or Aragorn.....

                d.bratman@... wrote:

                > From: d.bratman@...
                >
                > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
                >
                > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
                > had better speak up!
                >
                > David Bratman

                > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
                > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
                > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

              • Matthew Winslow
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                  David Bratman [d.bratman@...] wrote:
                  > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
                  >
                  > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
                  > had better speak up!

                  Well, gee, David, nothing like stacking the deck. Having the hots for
                  Galadriel is the only reason for liking Lothlorien?? Hmmm, let's psychoanalyze
                  that response... <g>

                  As for me, I'd quickly choose Lothlorien over Rivendell if not for one reason:
                  books! So, it's Rivendell for me.

                  "It's a poor story that becomes less interesting the more attention one
                  gives to it, and a poor reader who insists that reading a good story with
                  attention is leff fulfilling than reading it superficially."
                  --Kevin Maroney
                  Currently reading: A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor
                • Paul F. Labaki
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                    That's me. Just breathing the air in Lothlorien is a turn on. Rivendell is
                    closer to our experiences and therefore, perhaps, more welcoming, comforting
                    and generally desireable. The beauty and mystery of Lorien is foriegn and
                    more daunting. We may not be as welcome there as in Rivendell, but if I
                    could choose only one, I would stand with Gimli, axe at the ready!
                    --
                    Paul Labaki

                    ----------

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                      In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                      d-lena@... writes:

                      > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
                      think.

                      This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
                      Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
                      Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
                      paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
                      turning of its leaves.

                      But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
                      ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
                      water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!

                      I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
                      house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
                      he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
                      smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.

                      Mary S
                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                        Oh, definitely Rivendell. After all, my husband will be there. (I
                        almost typed "Riverdale," where Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead
                        live. Then I had an image of Archie and company in Rivendell. Ya know,
                        they could be hobbits. I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.
                        But I digress.) As my esteemed spouse said, Rivendell has more books,
                        and I feel, somehow, that it's closer to home.

                        Berni
                      • Eleanor Farrell
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                          >From: Stolzi@...
                          >
                          >Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
                          >stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
                          >
                          >Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
                          >weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
                          >Rivendell.
                          >
                          >Splitting your time is not allowed. To qualify, please submit your choice
                          >between these two and briefly give reasons for your preference.
                          >
                          >Dunedain Travel Bureau

                          I'd have to take Lothlorien..... you'll all know why when you see this
                          year's Not-Ready-for-Mythcon Players' production at BreeMoot 4/Mythcon XXX.

                          Ellie

                          Eleanor M. Farrell
                          emfarrell@...
                          Celluloid Wrappers: Costume in the Movies
                          http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/heat/218/
                        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                            In a message dated 7/16/99 9:27:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                            bernip@... writes:

                            > Rivendell has more books,

                            People keep saying this; where's their proof? Caras Galadon is a big place,
                            after all.

                            Anyway, Lothlorien is tucked away out of time, so those of us who go there
                            will get more for our two weeks :P

                            Mary S
                          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                              bernip@... writes:

                              > I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.

                              Me, I've been thinking of esteemed hobbits with names like Groucho, and
                              Harpo, and Zeppo, and Chico Baggins. (But that was probably done? in the
                              old Harvard parody?)

                              Who else could be on the Ring journey with them... besides thin, elfin Stan
                              Laurel-las, accompanied by Oli Verhardi the doughty Dwarf??
                            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 19, 1999
                                In a message dated 7/19/99 7:02:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                dianejoy@... writes:

                                > Would
                                > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                > "homely places." ---djb.

                                Oh well but =of course=!
                              • Diane Baker
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 19, 1999
                                  Stolzi@... wrote:

                                  > From: Stolzi@...
                                  >
                                  > In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                  > d-lena@... writes:
                                  >
                                  > > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
                                  > think.
                                  > >

                                  > This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
                                  > Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
                                  > Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
                                  > paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
                                  > turning of its leaves.
                                  >
                                  > But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
                                  > ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
                                  > water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!
                                  >
                                  > I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
                                  > house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
                                  > he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
                                  > smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.
                                  >
                                  > Mary S

                                  The two places are the hardest of choices; I would love to see those
                                  trees in bloom, meet the great Lady Galadriel and experience that
                                  incredible holiness. But Rivendell is so welcome and so familiar (esp.
                                  in contrast to the events which came before Rivendell). The books, the
                                  stories, the companionship, (and yes, the food!) all attract me. Would
                                  anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                  "homely places." ---djb.
                                • Matthew Heffron
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 20, 1999
                                    dianejoy@... writes:

                                    > Would
                                    > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                    > "homely places." ---djb.

                                    Oh well but =of course=!

                                    I feel guily to continue this, but I for one would need to visit Gondor. I'd
                                    also want to get to the Lonely Mt.

                                    Matt