Re: [mythsoc] new arrival

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
      Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
      the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
      the list know when he comes home.

      You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
      somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
      bit of a letdown after it's "out!"

      Ted
      ------------------------------
      Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836 Office
      615 898-5098 FAX
      tsherman@... Office
      tedsherman@... Home

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001

        Ted Sherman wrote:

        > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
        >
        > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001.
        > He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine;
        > baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.
      • Edith Louise Crowe
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
          So, Ted, your original message wasn't really off-topic after all. Anything
          related to the mental and emotional well-being of our _Mythlore_ editor is
          ipso facto on topic. Hope mother, baby, and dad are all recovering
          nicely. I was born a month early myself and it hasn't slowed me down!

          Edith

          On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ted Sherman wrote:

          > Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
          > the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
          > the list know when he comes home.
          >
          > You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
          > somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
          > bit of a letdown after it's "out!"
          >
          > Ted
          > ------------------------------
          > Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
          > Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
          > Mythopoeic Literature
          > Associate Professor of English
          > Box X041, Middle Tennessee State University
          > Murfreesboro, TN 37132
          > 615 898-5836 Office
          > 615 898-5098 FAX
          > tsherman@... Office
          > tedsherman@... Home

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
            ENTS, ELVES, AND ERIADOR: THE ENVIRONMENTAL VISION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN
            by Matthew Dickerson and Jonathan Evans. Haven't had a chance to leaf
            through it yet, but it's part of a series called Culture of the Land:
            A Series in the New Agrarianism and apparently represents an
            "ecocriticism" approach. I haven't read Dickerson's earlier book
            FOLLOWING GANDALF, but Evan's essay on Tolkien's dragons in the
            Timmons-Clark book (which I originally heard presented at the CFA in
            Florida) is v. good. Shippey provides a brief afterword. No mention
            of Dunsany in the index, alas.
            --John R.