Re: [mythsoc] Re: new arrival

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
      Thanks to all who have written with expressions of prayers and
      congratulations. He was born 5 weeks early (and he's been trying to come
      since 32 weeks!), thus the need to be in the ICU a few days.

      Ted
      ------------------------------
      Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
      Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5836 Office
      615 898-5098 FAX
      tsherman@... Office
      tedsherman@... Home

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
        Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
        the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
        the list know when he comes home.

        You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
        somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
        bit of a letdown after it's "out!"

        Ted
        ------------------------------
        Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Associate Professor of English
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836 Office
        615 898-5098 FAX
        tsherman@... Office
        tedsherman@... Home

        > Pleased to hear about the baby's arrival. He's a good size!
        > Hopefully, the breathing problems will clear up soon and he can
        > go home with mom.
        >
        > Prayers and congratulations all around.
        >
        > Mythically yours,
        >
        > Lisa
        >
        > Ted Sherman wrote:
        >
        > > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
        > >
        > > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001.
        > > He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine;
        > > baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.

      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001

          Ted Sherman wrote:

          > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
          >
          > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001.
          > He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine;
          > baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.
        • Edith Louise Crowe
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
            So, Ted, your original message wasn't really off-topic after all. Anything
            related to the mental and emotional well-being of our _Mythlore_ editor is
            ipso facto on topic. Hope mother, baby, and dad are all recovering
            nicely. I was born a month early myself and it hasn't slowed me down!

            Edith

            On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ted Sherman wrote:

            > Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
            > the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
            > the list know when he comes home.
            >
            > You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
            > somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
            > bit of a letdown after it's "out!"
            >
            > Ted
            > ------------------------------
            > Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
            > Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
            > Mythopoeic Literature
            > Associate Professor of English
            > Box X041, Middle Tennessee State University
            > Murfreesboro, TN 37132
            > 615 898-5836 Office
            > 615 898-5098 FAX
            > tsherman@... Office
            > tedsherman@... Home

          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2 9:46 PM
              ENTS, ELVES, AND ERIADOR: THE ENVIRONMENTAL VISION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN
              by Matthew Dickerson and Jonathan Evans. Haven't had a chance to leaf
              through it yet, but it's part of a series called Culture of the Land:
              A Series in the New Agrarianism and apparently represents an
              "ecocriticism" approach. I haven't read Dickerson's earlier book
              FOLLOWING GANDALF, but Evan's essay on Tolkien's dragons in the
              Timmons-Clark book (which I originally heard presented at the CFA in
              Florida) is v. good. Shippey provides a brief afterword. No mention
              of Dunsany in the index, alas.
              --John R.