Re: new arrival

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Ted Sherman" <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
      > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
      >
      > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001. He
      weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine; baby is in
      natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.

      Congrats! My prayers are with you; please let us know when he's OK.
      What an interesting name! May he live to the praise of God.

      David
    • Ted Sherman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
        Thanks to all who have written with expressions of prayers and
        congratulations. He was born 5 weeks early (and he's been trying to come
        since 32 weeks!), thus the need to be in the ICU a few days.

        Ted
        ------------------------------
        Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
        Mythopoeic Literature
        Associate Professor of English
        Murfreesboro, TN 37132
        615 898-5836 Office
        615 898-5098 FAX
        tsherman@... Office
        tedsherman@... Home

        > > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001. He
        > weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine; baby is in
        > natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.
        >
        > Congrats! My prayers are with you; please let us know when he's OK.
        > What an interesting name! May he live to the praise of God.
        >
        > David

      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
          Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
          the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
          the list know when he comes home.

          You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
          somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
          bit of a letdown after it's "out!"

          Ted
          ------------------------------
          Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
          Mythopoeic Literature
          Associate Professor of English
          Murfreesboro, TN 37132
          615 898-5836 Office
          615 898-5098 FAX
          tsherman@... Office
          tedsherman@... Home

          > Pleased to hear about the baby's arrival. He's a good size!
          > Hopefully, the breathing problems will clear up soon and he can
          > go home with mom.
          >
          > Prayers and congratulations all around.
          >
          > Mythically yours,
          >
          > Lisa
          >
          > Ted Sherman wrote:
          >
          > > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
          > >
          > > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001.
          > > He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine;
          > > baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001

            Ted Sherman wrote:

            > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
            >
            > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001.
            > He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine;
            > baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.
          • Edith Louise Crowe
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
              So, Ted, your original message wasn't really off-topic after all. Anything
              related to the mental and emotional well-being of our _Mythlore_ editor is
              ipso facto on topic. Hope mother, baby, and dad are all recovering
              nicely. I was born a month early myself and it hasn't slowed me down!

              Edith

              On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ted Sherman wrote:

              > Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
              > the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
              > the list know when he comes home.
              >
              > You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
              > somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
              > bit of a letdown after it's "out!"
              >
              > Ted
              > ------------------------------
              > Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
              > Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
              > Mythopoeic Literature
              > Associate Professor of English
              > Box X041, Middle Tennessee State University
              > Murfreesboro, TN 37132
              > 615 898-5836 Office
              > 615 898-5098 FAX
              > tsherman@... Office
              > tedsherman@... Home

            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                ENTS, ELVES, AND ERIADOR: THE ENVIRONMENTAL VISION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN
                by Matthew Dickerson and Jonathan Evans. Haven't had a chance to leaf
                through it yet, but it's part of a series called Culture of the Land:
                A Series in the New Agrarianism and apparently represents an
                "ecocriticism" approach. I haven't read Dickerson's earlier book
                FOLLOWING GANDALF, but Evan's essay on Tolkien's dragons in the
                Timmons-Clark book (which I originally heard presented at the CFA in
                Florida) is v. good. Shippey provides a brief afterword. No mention
                of Dunsany in the index, alas.
                --John R.