Tour Picturesque Middle-Earth

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
      Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
      stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!

      Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
      weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
      Rivendell.

      Splitting your time is not allowed. To qualify, please submit your choice
      between these two and briefly give reasons for your preference.

      Dunedain Travel Bureau
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
        Cute Mary.

        OK, Rivendell. Because it reminds me of a good con. You know, too much food &
        drink, storytelling and singing, and deep wonderful discussions far into the
        night.

        Lisa

        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > From: Stolzi@...
        >
        > Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
        > stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
        >
        > Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
        > weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
        > Rivendell.
        >
        > Splitting your time is not allowed. To qualify, please submit your choice
        > between these two and briefly give reasons for your preference.
        >
        > Dunedain Travel Bureau

        > The Literary Guild� offers you half off publishers' edition prices on
        > the books you love to read. Get 5 books for only $2 + 1 free with
        > membership. Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday7

      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
          Mary wrote:

          >> Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
          >> stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
          >>
          >> Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
          >> weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
          >> Rivendell.

          Rivendell. I'm not an "outdoors" person.

          Joan

          Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
          List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
            In a message dated 7/15/99 3:26:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
            lisa@... writes:

            > Cute Mary.

            Thanks, Lisa. Others? I should have said, "you can win a chance in the
            Lottery..."

            The idea came to me as I am re-reading LOTR, so far only in Vol I: I enjoyed
            coming to Rivendell so much, but remembered that Lothlorien too has its call
            and its appeal... I wondered which people would prefer.

            The rule that you can't have both is just a piece of evil TORRRTURRRRRE <eg>
          • d.bratman@xxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
              Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.

              Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
              had better speak up!

              David Bratman
            • David Lenander
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 15, 1999
                Well, I put "To live in Caras Galadon" (is that how it's spelled? I probably
                knew then) as my "Ambition" for the high school year book. But I've never felt
                ready, yet, for that, somehow. I think Rivendell seems a lot easier to take, we
                aren't really ready for Lothlorien, it's more rarified, heavenly, otherworldly
                and also perilous, I think. Elrond's House is the Last Homely House,
                Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I think.

                Of course, I already live in Rivendell....

                I'm not sure that Rivendell can really boast "more music," or even, necessarily,
                "better food." But David's "More books" is pretty persuasive. Of course,
                Lothlorien is a lot closer to Fangorn, and I'd really like to visit there, as
                well....

                If anyone is going to Lothlorien because he has the "hots for Galadriel" I'd
                advise that he NOT "speak up," and probably Rivendell would be a much safer
                destination.

                Responding to the message of <199907160420.EAA17707@...>
                from mythsoc@onelist.com:

                > From: d.bratman@...
                >
                > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
                >
                > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
                > had better speak up!
                >
                > David Bratman

                > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
                > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
                > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

                > .

                David Lenander
                293 Selby Ave. work: (612)626-3375
                St. Paul, MN 55102-1811 home: (651)292-8887
                fax: (612)626-2454
                e-mail: d-lena@...

                Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX web-page:
                http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html
              • Diane Baker
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                  Rivendell for me, too, for the reasons Lisa named. I definitely do not
                  have the hots for Galadriel. Now, Celeborn, or Aragorn.....

                  d.bratman@... wrote:

                  > From: d.bratman@...
                  >
                  > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
                  >
                  > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
                  > had better speak up!
                  >
                  > David Bratman

                  > We must be crazy! We're practically giving our books away! Doubleday
                  > Book Club� offers the best sellers and more! Get 5 books for just $.99
                  > + 1 free with membership! Go to http://www.onelist.com/ad/doubleday8

                • Matthew Winslow
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                    David Bratman [d.bratman@...] wrote:
                    > Rivendell. More books, more music, better food.
                    >
                    > Is this going to be unanimous? Somebody who has the hots for Galadriel
                    > had better speak up!

                    Well, gee, David, nothing like stacking the deck. Having the hots for
                    Galadriel is the only reason for liking Lothlorien?? Hmmm, let's psychoanalyze
                    that response... <g>

                    As for me, I'd quickly choose Lothlorien over Rivendell if not for one reason:
                    books! So, it's Rivendell for me.

                    "It's a poor story that becomes less interesting the more attention one
                    gives to it, and a poor reader who insists that reading a good story with
                    attention is leff fulfilling than reading it superficially."
                    --Kevin Maroney
                    Currently reading: A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor
                  • Paul F. Labaki
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                      That's me. Just breathing the air in Lothlorien is a turn on. Rivendell is
                      closer to our experiences and therefore, perhaps, more welcoming, comforting
                      and generally desireable. The beauty and mystery of Lorien is foriegn and
                      more daunting. We may not be as welcome there as in Rivendell, but if I
                      could choose only one, I would stand with Gimli, axe at the ready!
                      --
                      Paul Labaki

                      ----------

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                        In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        d-lena@... writes:

                        > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
                        think.

                        This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
                        Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
                        Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
                        paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
                        turning of its leaves.

                        But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
                        ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
                        water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!

                        I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
                        house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
                        he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
                        smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.

                        Mary S
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 16, 1999
                          Oh, definitely Rivendell. After all, my husband will be there. (I
                          almost typed "Riverdale," where Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead
                          live. Then I had an image of Archie and company in Rivendell. Ya know,
                          they could be hobbits. I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.
                          But I digress.) As my esteemed spouse said, Rivendell has more books,
                          and I feel, somehow, that it's closer to home.

                          Berni
                        • Eleanor Farrell
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                            >From: Stolzi@...
                            >
                            >Congratulations! YOU have been entered in the lottery to win a two week
                            >stay, free of charge, in beautiful Middle Earth!
                            >
                            >Your hosts will offer you their traditional Elven hospitality for two full
                            >weeks, EITHER in beautiful Lothlorien, or in the Last Homely House --
                            >Rivendell.
                            >
                            >Splitting your time is not allowed. To qualify, please submit your choice
                            >between these two and briefly give reasons for your preference.
                            >
                            >Dunedain Travel Bureau

                            I'd have to take Lothlorien..... you'll all know why when you see this
                            year's Not-Ready-for-Mythcon Players' production at BreeMoot 4/Mythcon XXX.

                            Ellie

                            Eleanor M. Farrell
                            emfarrell@...
                            Celluloid Wrappers: Costume in the Movies
                            http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/heat/218/
                          • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                              In a message dated 7/16/99 9:27:12 PM Central Daylight Time,
                              bernip@... writes:

                              > Rivendell has more books,

                              People keep saying this; where's their proof? Caras Galadon is a big place,
                              after all.

                              Anyway, Lothlorien is tucked away out of time, so those of us who go there
                              will get more for our two weeks :P

                              Mary S
                            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 17, 1999
                                bernip@... writes:

                                > I can see Archie as Frodo and Jughead as Sam.

                                Me, I've been thinking of esteemed hobbits with names like Groucho, and
                                Harpo, and Zeppo, and Chico Baggins. (But that was probably done? in the
                                old Harvard parody?)

                                Who else could be on the Ring journey with them... besides thin, elfin Stan
                                Laurel-las, accompanied by Oli Verhardi the doughty Dwarf??
                              • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 19, 1999
                                  In a message dated 7/19/99 7:02:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                  dianejoy@... writes:

                                  > Would
                                  > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                  > "homely places." ---djb.

                                  Oh well but =of course=!
                                • Diane Baker
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 19, 1999
                                    Stolzi@... wrote:

                                    > From: Stolzi@...
                                    >
                                    > In a message dated 7/16/99 12:01:42 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                    > d-lena@... writes:
                                    >
                                    > > Galadriel's home is beautiful, holy, fascinating, but not very Homely, I
                                    > think.
                                    > >

                                    > This is why I would be tempted to choose Lothlorien. We can -almost- get the
                                    > Rivendell experience here and now on some of our best days and circumstances;
                                    > Lothlorien has that lure of the strange and the transcendent, the
                                    > paradisiacal. Plus, I =would= love to see the mallorn in bloom, or the
                                    > turning of its leaves.
                                    >
                                    > But oh, Rivendell sounds just about perfect, with the carved-beam, dark wood
                                    > ceilings, the open fires in the gracious halls, and outside the views of 1)
                                    > water 2) beautiful gardens, and 3) =mountains=!
                                    >
                                    > I knew a man - a true Tolkien-lover - who bought a beautiful, simple, big
                                    > house, on a large wooded lot which gave him pretty complete seclusion... and
                                    > he named his place "Lothlorien" and his business "Valar." May Elbereth
                                    > smile on John, wherever he is now; we've lost touch.
                                    >
                                    > Mary S

                                    The two places are the hardest of choices; I would love to see those
                                    trees in bloom, meet the great Lady Galadriel and experience that
                                    incredible holiness. But Rivendell is so welcome and so familiar (esp.
                                    in contrast to the events which came before Rivendell). The books, the
                                    stories, the companionship, (and yes, the food!) all attract me. Would
                                    anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                    "homely places." ---djb.
                                  • Matthew Heffron
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 20, 1999
                                      dianejoy@... writes:

                                      > Would
                                      > anybody want to visit the Shire, or the inn at Bree? Those are also
                                      > "homely places." ---djb.

                                      Oh well but =of course=!

                                      I feel guily to continue this, but I for one would need to visit Gondor. I'd
                                      also want to get to the Lonely Mt.

                                      Matt