RE: [mythsoc] new arrival

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
      GlacierSorry this is off topic.

      Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001. He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine; baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.

      Ted Sherman

      http://www.mail2web.com/ .
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "Ted Sherman" <tedsherman@h...> wrote:
        > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
        >
        > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001. He
        weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine; baby is in
        natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.

        Congrats! My prayers are with you; please let us know when he's OK.
        What an interesting name! May he live to the praise of God.

        David
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
          Thanks to all who have written with expressions of prayers and
          congratulations. He was born 5 weeks early (and he's been trying to come
          since 32 weeks!), thus the need to be in the ICU a few days.

          Ted
          ------------------------------
          Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
          Mythopoeic Literature
          Associate Professor of English
          Murfreesboro, TN 37132
          615 898-5836 Office
          615 898-5098 FAX
          tsherman@... Office
          tedsherman@... Home

          > > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001. He
          > weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine; baby is in
          > natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.
          >
          > Congrats! My prayers are with you; please let us know when he's OK.
          > What an interesting name! May he live to the praise of God.
          >
          > David

        • Ted Sherman
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001
            Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
            the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
            the list know when he comes home.

            You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
            somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
            bit of a letdown after it's "out!"

            Ted
            ------------------------------
            Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
            Mythopoeic Literature
            Associate Professor of English
            Murfreesboro, TN 37132
            615 898-5836 Office
            615 898-5098 FAX
            tsherman@... Office
            tedsherman@... Home

            > Pleased to hear about the baby's arrival. He's a good size!
            > Hopefully, the breathing problems will clear up soon and he can
            > go home with mom.
            >
            > Prayers and congratulations all around.
            >
            > Mythically yours,
            >
            > Lisa
            >
            > Ted Sherman wrote:
            >
            > > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
            > >
            > > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001.
            > > He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine;
            > > baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 24, 2001

              Ted Sherman wrote:

              > GlacierSorry this is off topic.
              >
              > Seraphim Alexander Sherman was born at 4.50 pm on 23 July 2001.
              > He weighs 6lbs, 10.5oz and is 19.25 inches. Mother is fine;
              > baby is in natal intensive care for breathing difficulties.
            • Edith Louise Crowe
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
                So, Ted, your original message wasn't really off-topic after all. Anything
                related to the mental and emotional well-being of our _Mythlore_ editor is
                ipso facto on topic. Hope mother, baby, and dad are all recovering
                nicely. I was born a month early myself and it hasn't slowed me down!

                Edith

                On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Ted Sherman wrote:

                > Thanks, Lisa. He's already breathing much better and will probably be off
                > the oxygen tomorrow entirely. They'll also probably remove the IV. Will let
                > the list know when he comes home.
                >
                > You know, birthing a baby (from the father's perspective at least) is
                > somewhat like birthing a journal--lots of preparation and lead time, then a
                > bit of a letdown after it's "out!"
                >
                > Ted
                > ------------------------------
                > Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
                > Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and
                > Mythopoeic Literature
                > Associate Professor of English
                > Box X041, Middle Tennessee State University
                > Murfreesboro, TN 37132
                > 615 898-5836 Office
                > 615 898-5098 FAX
                > tsherman@... Office
                > tedsherman@... Home

              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2006
                  ENTS, ELVES, AND ERIADOR: THE ENVIRONMENTAL VISION OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN
                  by Matthew Dickerson and Jonathan Evans. Haven't had a chance to leaf
                  through it yet, but it's part of a series called Culture of the Land:
                  A Series in the New Agrarianism and apparently represents an
                  "ecocriticism" approach. I haven't read Dickerson's earlier book
                  FOLLOWING GANDALF, but Evan's essay on Tolkien's dragons in the
                  Timmons-Clark book (which I originally heard presented at the CFA in
                  Florida) is v. good. Shippey provides a brief afterword. No mention
                  of Dunsany in the index, alas.
                  --John R.