ELIJAH WOODS TALKS 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2001
      ELIJAH WOODS TALKS 'LORD OF THE RINGS'

      On hand to enjoy the excitement of the Comic-Con International: San
      Diego
      was actor Elijah Wood, whom many may recognize as Frodo the Hobbit in
      New
      Line Cinema's upcoming LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. CINESCAPE managed to
      catch
      up with the young actor for an update on the films, which were shot
      back-to-back-to-back (the first of the three, THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE
      RING, is
      due out in theaters December 2001).

      "[I've seen footage of the film and] it's amazing," says Wood. "It's
      absolutely incredible. They've shrunk me down to approximately four feet
      play a hobbit."

      Currently in post-production, the actor does admit that his obligation
      the project is far from over. There still are a number of re-shoots that
      will require his involvement.

      "Principal photography has been completed - all three movies were shot
      all
      at one time - but now it's just the little preliminary sort of
      re-shoots,
      pick-ups and bits of scenes that they need to add," says Wood. "So the
      main
      crux of the film is done. We've done pick-ups for the first movie now
      and I'
      ll be going back next year for part two and three."

      Perhaps the biggest challenge for any actor is acting opposite a blue
      screen - required for such effects heavy films as LORD OF THE RINGS.
      However, Wood admits to have had a relatively easy time of it.

      "It was actually kind of easy," says Wood. "I mean we had a lot of big
      sets,
      but if there was something that we were looking at that wasn't there, we
      had
      lots of drawings and conceptual art to use as references for stuff that
      we
      were supposed to be seeing. So it was kind of easy to imagine on the day
      what we were supposed to be looking at."

      Of course, what's hard about acting with A-list cast like Ian McKellen
      and
      Liv Tyler, let alone a director like Peter Jackson?

      "It's awesome," exclaims Wood. "It's a really, really incredible group
      of
      people and a very brilliant, talented group of artists who were
      massively,
      massively passionate about what they were there in New Zealand for. It
      was a
      real honor. [And Peter Jackson] is a lovely guy. He's kind of like a
      Hobbit
      himself. He's totally passionate about the project."

      It's a good thing the film has a director who lives and breaths all
      things
      RINGS-related because Wood admits to not being too familiar with the
      property prior to his participation.

      "Not so much with LORD OF THE RINGS," admits Wood. "I had read the
      HOBBIT
      and I'd always had LORD OF THE RINGS around, but never actually read it.
      So
      not too familiar."

      However, Wood is no fool. He was smart enough to keep the one piece of
      genre
      memorabilia that will inevitably rank up there with the Darth Maul
      double-bladed lightsaber prop from PHANTOM MENACE.

      "Oh, I've got the ring," says Wood wryly.