Re: my on-line colloquy

  • jchristopher@tarleton.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22 3:51 PM
      Dear Wendell (and anyone else who's interested)--

      Well, the on-line colloquy for _The Chronicle of Higher Education_ is an
      interesting experience. I was sent via email the queries, plus some of the
      moderator's, that had come in by Wednesday before the Thursday colloquy.
      These I wrote answers to on Wednesday night. On Thursday, I was on the
      phone from 11:45 to 1:00 (and answering questions from 12 to 1). The way
      it was handled was that a secretary (I assume) read me a question and I
      answered it orally while she typed my answer down. This explains some
      spelling and grammatical errors--such as Spencer for Spenser. (I sent the
      moderator a list of corrections, including one answer where I'd like to
      change one of my words, and he said he'd get to them on Monday. Ah
      well...) There was one short period that we stopped because of some sort
      of technical problems at the other end. Anyway, he used some of my
      Wednesday night answers at first and sprinkled the others in as we went
      along, I suppose to give the impression that I was answering questions
      quickly.
      I don't know, and I'll leave to others to decide, how I did. But I think
      I work better when writing than when talking--that much I've decided. I
      appreciate the fact that the moderator jumped in twice, particularly the
      one when he pointed out two reasons that I had not mentioned for scholars
      not accepting Lindskoog's arguments--it made for a better balanced
      presentation.
      Wendell, you started this by mentioning the review to which the colloquy
      was supposed to be a follow-up. This may be more than you're interested in
      about the topic.

      --Joe