Tolkien's runes of power (was Digest Number 632)

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 22, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "Michael Martinez" <michael@x> wrote:
      > --- In mythsoc@y..., "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@b...> wrote:
      > The Rohirrim thus appear to be loosely based on the Goths as they
      > were perceived to be in the 1940s (at the time of their entries
      > into the Roman Empire) as far as culture goes; their "translated"
      > language and nomenclature are taken directly from Anglo-Saxon
      > (Mercian, according to some people, but I don't know enough to
      > distinguish such features of language); their ideas and values
      > are "Homeric", even down to men forseeing their deaths and taking
      > oaths which carry them to the far ends of the world; and they are
      > very close to being a rewrite of the Third House of the Edain, the
      > Marachians.

      I meant to add something about the two famous charges of the
      Rohirrim: Eorl's arrival at the Battle of the Field of Celebrant and
      Theoden's charge in the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Both charges
      owe a little something to Alexander, who more than once led his
      Companion cavalry in charges against the center of enemy lines (an
      unusual cavalry tactic for a time centuries before the stirrup came
      along -- and I don't believe the high saddles used by Roman Cibinarii
      for similar tactics had been developed yet, either).

      Anyway, I was starting to get ahead of myself as I typed, as the
      Helm/Hurin/Herakles comparison was one I hadn't made in a long time,
      and it suddenly reoccurred to me.