Tolkien and magic

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2001
      I just wanted to get some ideas for inlay. . .

      Anyway, Gandalf's "magic" often seems to be more an exertion of
      delegated _authority_ that he had as an angel sent by Eru to perform a
      certain task.

      Elvish magic was rejected by Galadriel as being magic. So, what was it?
      My persaonl view is that the Eldar spent something like 30,000 years
      being taught by the archangels how to do things, so that this would fit
      Clarke's definition of sufficiently advanced technology. Just because
      they chose not to live in machine-cities doesn't mean it wasn't
      technology, just 'appropriate technology'.