Re: Tolkien's runes of power

  • stephen@stephen.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2001
      We're not discussing a systematized Magic. So nothing can specifically be
      ruled in or out of it as an absolute. Endless associations are present and
      nothing at all in LotR is specifically not associated with 'magic'.
      Certainly knowledge, wisdom and power are deeply and widely associated with
      'magic' (i.e. the ability to effect the world through creative power (or some
      definition like that)).

      Gandalf's library reasearch is an integral element in the Council of Elrond.
      And to me the Council was very 'magical' indeed because it turned on magical
      knowledge of the nature of the universe far beyond what we have in the
      primary world. They made decisions on the basis of things like: "And it is
      not our part here to take thought only for a season, or for a few lives of
      Men, or for a passing age of the world. We should seek a final end of this
      menace, even if we don't hope to make one.' That decision is based on a
      level of certainty that would not be available to mortal Men. So in what
      sense is it not 'magic'?

      - Stephen