Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 639

  • stephen@stephen.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2001
      I'd say Tolkien's "magic" is neither occult nor cabalistic, but rather
      'mythic'. And I think he did that quite intentionally by drawing on myth,
      particularly Anglo-Saxon myth. He talks about drawing from mythic sources in
      'On Fairy Stories' and I think the treatment of "magic" in LotR fits quite
      well into that category; particularly the importance of oaths, foretelling,
      swords, curses.

      There's also some nice stuff about knowledge as power. After all, one of
      Gandalf's important wizardly skills is library research (at which he is
      apparently more skilled than Denathor).
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., stephen@s... wrote:
        > I'd say Tolkien's "magic" is neither occult nor cabalistic, but
        rather
        > 'mythic'. And I think he did that quite intentionally by drawing on
        myth,
        > particularly Anglo-Saxon myth. He talks about drawing from mythic
        sources in
        > 'On Fairy Stories' and I think the treatment of "magic" in LotR fits
        quite
        > well into that category; particularly the importance of oaths,
        foretelling,
        > swords, curses.
        >
        > There's also some nice stuff about knowledge as power. After all,
        one of
        > Gandalf's important wizardly skills is library research (at which he
        is
        > apparently more skilled than Denathor).

        That makes sense to me. Apparently I was imposing my assumptions on
        the text to a certain extent.

        David