Re: ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
      > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
      > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
      > playing
      > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms."
      Serkis
      > > adds,
      > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root
      it
      > in
      > > something the audience can identify with."
      >
      > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
      > druggies?
      >
      > David
      >
      > No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug
      addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum.
      Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate
      to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating
      to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and
      calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have
      some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if
      it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine
      there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring,
      and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that
      far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that
      extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

      Diane,

      Thanks to you and the others who took the time to remind me of the the
      use of archtyping in stories!

      David