TYLER DISCUSSES ELVE, ROMANCE

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2001
      TYLER DISCUSSES ELVE, ROMANCE

      Liv Tyler found portraying an elf in Peter Jackson's upcoming Lord of
      the
      Rings film trilogy "nearly impossible.". "They are just so
      otherworldly,"
      the Armageddon star told SCI FI Wire during an interview.

      "It was fun but very difficult to become that because they are kind of
      like
      perfect beings" Tyler said, referring to her character Arwen, the elf so
      desperately in love with the mortal Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen). "They're
      perceptive. They're beyond us. They're also incredibly poised, and they
      move
      in a certain way and walk in a certain way. All of that was incredibly
      important and also kind of exhausting. There wasn't a moment where I
      could
      rest on one leg or shrug a shoulder. We always had to be perfectly
      contained."

      Tyler politely declined to disclose the details of Arwen's romance in
      the
      film, but she can't hide her satisfaction with the way it was handled.
      "For
      me as a girl, in that girly way, one of the main things that really
      attracted me to this was the power and the beauty of the love story,"
      the
      actress said. "If you go back to the book, to the appendix, one of the
      chapters [is called 'Arwen and Aragorn'] and it's the most dreamy,
      classic
      and beautiful love story. They're faced with a lot of classic struggles
      and
      decisions."

      The Fellowship of the Ring opens in theaters this December, followed by
      The
      Two Towers in 2002 and The Return of the King in 2003.