Some pleasing words about LOTR movie...

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16 6:35 AM
      This is from Ken Tanner of TOUCHSTONE magazine, with his permission:

      After watching most of the interview responses of Peter Jackson,
      the director of the upcoming LOTR films -- these can be viewed
      at the official LOTR films website -- I am not too concerned about
      revisionism in the films.

      One of the more telling replies came from a questioner that
      assumed that Tolkien's female characters were "thin," that
      Tolkien didn't know how to "write" women. Ha! While Jackson
      admitted feeling that this was true when he was young, he has
      since come to a different mind and find's Tolkein's women quite
      compelling as they were originally rendered -- he plans to render
      them cinematically much as they are in the books. Even the
      "new" material for Arwen -- played in the films by Liv Tyler -- is
      drawn from LOTR appendixed writings on the love of Arwen and
      Aragorn. "Arwen will be no warrior princess," says Jackson.

      Indeed, who reading of Galadrial could accept the notion that
      Tolkien failed in rendering believable females? What a PC crock.

      Anyway, the intterview with Jackson leaves me with the
      impression that the action-adventure sequences of the books
      will dominate, but that the "spirit" of the books -- the songs, the
      wisdom, the cultures, the love of nature and creature comforts --
      will not be lost in the process.

      [he adds, relative to reading the story aloud, some enjoyable paragraphs:]

      , too, am reading the books with my three oldest. We read
      the Hobbit in the closing weeks of June, and we are coming to
      the Council of Elrond (Book 1 of LOTR) tomorrow night.

      It's a blast to watch the kids grow nervous (along with me!) as I
      voice the sections about the dreaded Black Riders. Of course,
      dad has to read ahead so that I can better dramatize the
      readings. I just finished the first chapter of Book 3 before I came
      online tonight.

      We asked Rod Dreher to review the first LOTR film for
      Touchstone. As I read the
      books, I find myself growing jealous that Rod will get to see
      them as early as October.

      It was the latest film trailer -- downloaded to my laptop -- that
      spurred the kids' interest and our current hour-plus nightly
      reading sessions.