ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
      "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

      > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
      > playing
      > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
      > > adds,
      > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
      > in
      > > something the audience can identify with."
      >
      > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
      > druggies?

      I think "identify with" meant "easily understands." Not that they are
      addicts, but that they are familiar with addiction and its symptoms.

      Joan
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
        > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
        > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
        > playing
        > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms."
        Serkis
        > > adds,
        > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root
        it
        > in
        > > something the audience can identify with."
        >
        > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
        > druggies?
        >
        > David
        >
        > No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug
        addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum.
        Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate
        to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating
        to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and
        calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have
        some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if
        it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine
        there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring,
        and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that
        far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that
        extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

        Diane,

        Thanks to you and the others who took the time to remind me of the the
        use of archtyping in stories!

        David