RE: [mythsoc] Re: ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: David J. Finnamore daeron@...
      Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:31:50 -0000
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

      --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
      > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
      playing
      > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
      > adds,
      > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
      in
      > something the audience can identify with."

      So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
      druggies?

      David

      No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

      http://www.mail2web.com/ .
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
        "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

        > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
        > playing
        > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
        > > adds,
        > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
        > in
        > > something the audience can identify with."
        >
        > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
        > druggies?

        I think "identify with" meant "easily understands." Not that they are
        addicts, but that they are familiar with addiction and its symptoms.

        Joan
      • David J. Finnamore
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
          > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
          > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
          > playing
          > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms."
          Serkis
          > > adds,
          > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root
          it
          > in
          > > something the audience can identify with."
          >
          > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
          > druggies?
          >
          > David
          >
          > No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug
          addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum.
          Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate
          to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating
          to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and
          calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have
          some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if
          it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine
          there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring,
          and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that
          far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that
          extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

          Diane,

          Thanks to you and the others who took the time to remind me of the the
          use of archtyping in stories!

          David