RE: [mythsoc] Re: ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      From: David J. Finnamore daeron@...
      Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 15:31:50 -0000
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Re: ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

      --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
      > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
      playing
      > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
      > adds,
      > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
      in
      > something the audience can identify with."

      So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
      druggies?

      David

      No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

      http://www.mail2web.com/ .
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
        > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
        playing
        > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
        > adds,
        > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
        in
        > something the audience can identify with."

        So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
        druggies?

        David

        No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

        http://www.mail2web.com/ .
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
          "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

          > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
          > playing
          > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
          > > adds,
          > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
          > in
          > > something the audience can identify with."
          >
          > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
          > druggies?

          I think "identify with" meant "easily understands." Not that they are
          addicts, but that they are familiar with addiction and its symptoms.

          Joan
        • David J. Finnamore
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
            --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
            > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
            > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
            > playing
            > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms."
            Serkis
            > > adds,
            > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root
            it
            > in
            > > something the audience can identify with."
            >
            > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
            > druggies?
            >
            > David
            >
            > No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug
            addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum.
            Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate
            to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating
            to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and
            calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have
            some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if
            it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine
            there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring,
            and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that
            far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that
            extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

            Diane,

            Thanks to you and the others who took the time to remind me of the the
            use of archtyping in stories!

            David