Re: [mythsoc] Re: ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2001
      On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:31:50PM -0000, David J. Finnamore wrote:
      > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
      > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
      > playing
      > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
      > > adds,
      > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
      > in
      > > something the audience can identify with."
      >
      > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
      > druggies?

      Heh, I doubt that's quite what he meant. I'm assuming he's talking
      about the fact that most people in current American culture have
      seen someone try to quit tobacco or alcohol or caffeine, if not a
      more potent drug. Most of us have also heard about withdrawal
      symptoms from various stay-off-drugs programs, or seen a television
      character go clean.
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
        > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
        playing
        > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
        > adds,
        > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
        in
        > something the audience can identify with."

        So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
        druggies?

        David

        No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

        http://www.mail2web.com/ .
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
          > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
          playing
          > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
          > adds,
          > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
          in
          > something the audience can identify with."

          So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
          druggies?

          David

          No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

          http://www.mail2web.com/ .
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
            "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

            > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
            > playing
            > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
            > > adds,
            > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
            > in
            > > something the audience can identify with."
            >
            > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
            > druggies?

            I think "identify with" meant "easily understands." Not that they are
            addicts, but that they are familiar with addiction and its symptoms.

            Joan
          • David J. Finnamore
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
              --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
              > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
              > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
              > playing
              > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms."
              Serkis
              > > adds,
              > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root
              it
              > in
              > > something the audience can identify with."
              >
              > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
              > druggies?
              >
              > David
              >
              > No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug
              addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum.
              Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate
              to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating
              to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and
              calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have
              some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if
              it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine
              there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring,
              and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that
              far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that
              extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

              Diane,

              Thanks to you and the others who took the time to remind me of the the
              use of archtyping in stories!

              David