Re: [mythsoc] Re: ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 11, 2001
      "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

      > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
      > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
      > > playing Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal
      > > symptoms." Serkis adds, "When you are playing such an extreme
      > > character, you have to root it in something the audience can
      > > identify with."
      >
      > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
      > druggies?

      Maybe he's actually read Tom Shippey. :) Or, more
      interestingly, independently picked up on that same aspect of
      Gollum's character that Shippey did (in THE ROAD TO
      MIDDLE-EARTH).

      If so, I suspect "identify with" should be interpreted more as
      "be familiar with, as an image/character type."

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2001
        On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:31:50PM -0000, David J. Finnamore wrote:
        > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
        > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
        > playing
        > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
        > > adds,
        > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
        > in
        > > something the audience can identify with."
        >
        > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
        > druggies?

        Heh, I doubt that's quite what he meant. I'm assuming he's talking
        about the fact that most people in current American culture have
        seen someone try to quit tobacco or alcohol or caffeine, if not a
        more potent drug. Most of us have also heard about withdrawal
        symptoms from various stay-off-drugs programs, or seen a television
        character go clean.
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
          > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
          playing
          > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
          > adds,
          > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
          in
          > something the audience can identify with."

          So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
          druggies?

          David

          No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

          http://www.mail2web.com/ .
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
            > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
            playing
            > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
            > adds,
            > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
            in
            > something the audience can identify with."

            So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
            druggies?

            David

            No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

            http://www.mail2web.com/ .
          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
              "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

              > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
              > playing
              > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
              > > adds,
              > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
              > in
              > > something the audience can identify with."
              >
              > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
              > druggies?

              I think "identify with" meant "easily understands." Not that they are
              addicts, but that they are familiar with addiction and its symptoms.

              Joan
            • David J. Finnamore
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
                --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
                > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
                > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
                > playing
                > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms."
                Serkis
                > > adds,
                > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root
                it
                > in
                > > something the audience can identify with."
                >
                > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
                > druggies?
                >
                > David
                >
                > No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug
                addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum.
                Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate
                to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating
                to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and
                calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have
                some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if
                it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine
                there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring,
                and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that
                far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that
                extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

                Diane,

                Thanks to you and the others who took the time to remind me of the the
                use of archtyping in stories!

                David