Re: Symbols and names

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@b...> wrote:
      > --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:
      > > What sort of symbols or inscriptions might Daeron of Beleriand
      > > have put on a musical instrument?
      > >
      > > What sort of names might have been given one? I'm having a
      > > cittern made for me, complete with lute rosette, and something
      > > understated and not over-the-top is what I have in mind.
      >
      > IIRC, Daeron invented the Angerthas alphabet later used
      > (exclusively?) by the elves. Don't have my books to hand but you
      > might try various letter combinations, along with the customary
      > dots on each end (single, double, and/or triple). Maybe an L since
      > Sindarin root word for music (singing) is Lin- Or you could have
      > your initials in Angerthas. See the appendices at the back of LotR.

      Daeron invented the Cirth (the Runes). The Angerthas Moria were a
      variant adapted by the Dwarves of Khazad-dum.

      Daeron may very well have decorated his instruments with "runes of
      power" (the meaning of which phrase is not explained anywhere, but it
      is used by Tolkien in at least two distinct passages). Tolkien's
      magic seems to be very closely associated with his music.

      The runes were apparently used by everyone in Middle-earth, and may
      have been more widely used than the Tengwar. Even Saruman's Orcs
      carved S-runes into their helms (or somehow put them on their helms).