ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2001
      ANDY SERKIS TALKS GOLLUM

      Andy Serkis has been talking, briefly, about playing the role of Gollum
      in
      the coming LORD OF THE RINGS film trilogy. While chatting with the
      Highbury
      and Islington Express newspaper, the actor spoke of one of the saga's
      most
      important roles, saying, "[Gollum's] an amazing role. The way we've done
      it
      is to use a combination of animation and motion capture... so I get to
      do
      the voice and physicality of the part."

      Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is playing
      Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
      adds,
      "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it in
      something the audience can identify with."
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
        > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
        playing
        > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
        > adds,
        > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
        in
        > something the audience can identify with."

        So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
        druggies?

        David
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11, 2001
          "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

          > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
          > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
          > > playing Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal
          > > symptoms." Serkis adds, "When you are playing such an extreme
          > > character, you have to root it in something the audience can
          > > identify with."
          >
          > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
          > druggies?

          Maybe he's actually read Tom Shippey. :) Or, more
          interestingly, independently picked up on that same aspect of
          Gollum's character that Shippey did (in THE ROAD TO
          MIDDLE-EARTH).

          If so, I suspect "identify with" should be interpreted more as
          "be familiar with, as an image/character type."

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
        • Juliet Blosser
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11, 2001
            On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:31:50PM -0000, David J. Finnamore wrote:
            > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
            > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
            > playing
            > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
            > > adds,
            > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
            > in
            > > something the audience can identify with."
            >
            > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
            > druggies?

            Heh, I doubt that's quite what he meant. I'm assuming he's talking
            about the fact that most people in current American culture have
            seen someone try to quit tobacco or alcohol or caffeine, if not a
            more potent drug. Most of us have also heard about withdrawal
            symptoms from various stay-off-drugs programs, or seen a television
            character go clean.
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
              > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
              playing
              > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
              > adds,
              > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
              in
              > something the audience can identify with."

              So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
              druggies?

              David

              No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum. Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring, and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

              http://www.mail2web.com/ .
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12, 2001
                  "David J. Finnamore" wrote:

                  > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
                  > playing
                  > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms." Serkis
                  > > adds,
                  > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root it
                  > in
                  > > something the audience can identify with."
                  >
                  > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
                  > druggies?

                  I think "identify with" meant "easily understands." Not that they are
                  addicts, but that they are familiar with addiction and its symptoms.

                  Joan
                • David J. Finnamore
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 17, 2001
                    --- In mythsoc@y..., "dianejoy@e..." <dianejoy@e...> wrote:
                    > --- In mythsoc@y..., Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...> wrote:
                    > > Regarding his intepretation of the part, Serkis says that he is
                    > playing
                    > > Gollum as a "ring junkie, complete with withdrawal symptoms."
                    Serkis
                    > > adds,
                    > > "When you are playing such an extreme character, you have to root
                    it
                    > in
                    > > something the audience can identify with."
                    >
                    > So he thinks Tolkien fans (or family movie goers, or both) are
                    > druggies?
                    >
                    > David
                    >
                    > No, I don't think that's what he's saying. He is using the drug
                    addict as a frame on which to hang his characterization of Gollum.
                    Part of acting involves finding a situation with which you can relate
                    to portray a character; Serkis may be having some difficulty relating
                    to a being who has lived underground for years, hates sunlight, and
                    calls his ring "Precious." But the mind-set of Gollum *does* have
                    some characteristics of a drug addict. He's always checking to see if
                    it's around, and he feels better knowing it's close. I imagine
                    there's even some physical pain involved in separation from the ring,
                    and would be worse, once he learns that Bilbo has it. He's gone that
                    far. I don't think Serkin's analogy (and that's all it is) is that
                    extreme. Not for Gollum. ---djb.

                    Diane,

                    Thanks to you and the others who took the time to remind me of the the
                    use of archtyping in stories!

                    David