Re: Symbols and names

  • David J. Finnamore
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:
      > What sort of symbols or inscriptions might Daeron of Beleriand have
      put
      > on a musical instrument?
      >
      > What sort of names might have been given one? I'm having a cittern
      made
      > for me, complete with lute rosette, and something understated and
      not
      > over-the-top is what I have in mind.

      [Posting from a free web station while on vacation, here - may not be
      able to continue thread for two weeks]

      IIRC, Daeron invented the Angerthas alphabet later used
      (exclusively?) by the elves. Don't have my books to hand but you
      might try various letter combinations, along with the customary dots
      on each end (single, double, and/or triple). Maybe an L since
      Sindarin root word for music (singing) is Lin- Or you could have
      your initials in Angerthas. See the appendices at the back of LotR.

      David
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@b...> wrote:
        > --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:
        > > What sort of symbols or inscriptions might Daeron of Beleriand
        > > have put on a musical instrument?
        > >
        > > What sort of names might have been given one? I'm having a
        > > cittern made for me, complete with lute rosette, and something
        > > understated and not over-the-top is what I have in mind.
        >
        > IIRC, Daeron invented the Angerthas alphabet later used
        > (exclusively?) by the elves. Don't have my books to hand but you
        > might try various letter combinations, along with the customary
        > dots on each end (single, double, and/or triple). Maybe an L since
        > Sindarin root word for music (singing) is Lin- Or you could have
        > your initials in Angerthas. See the appendices at the back of LotR.

        Daeron invented the Cirth (the Runes). The Angerthas Moria were a
        variant adapted by the Dwarves of Khazad-dum.

        Daeron may very well have decorated his instruments with "runes of
        power" (the meaning of which phrase is not explained anywhere, but it
        is used by Tolkien in at least two distinct passages). Tolkien's
        magic seems to be very closely associated with his music.

        The runes were apparently used by everyone in Middle-earth, and may
        have been more widely used than the Tengwar. Even Saruman's Orcs
        carved S-runes into their helms (or somehow put them on their helms).