Symbols and names

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2001
      What sort of symbols or inscriptions might Daeron of Beleriand have put
      on a musical instrument?

      What sort of names might have been given one? I'm having a cittern made
      for me, complete with lute rosette, and something understated and not
      over-the-top is what I have in mind.

      I'm not sure why I didn't think to ask here first.

      Best idea I have so far is for the fret markers to be the eight-pointed
      star.

      w/b?

      Steve
    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:
        > What sort of symbols or inscriptions might Daeron of Beleriand have
        put
        > on a musical instrument?
        >
        > What sort of names might have been given one? I'm having a cittern
        made
        > for me, complete with lute rosette, and something understated and
        not
        > over-the-top is what I have in mind.

        [Posting from a free web station while on vacation, here - may not be
        able to continue thread for two weeks]

        IIRC, Daeron invented the Angerthas alphabet later used
        (exclusively?) by the elves. Don't have my books to hand but you
        might try various letter combinations, along with the customary dots
        on each end (single, double, and/or triple). Maybe an L since
        Sindarin root word for music (singing) is Lin- Or you could have
        your initials in Angerthas. See the appendices at the back of LotR.

        David
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 10, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., "David J. Finnamore" <daeron@b...> wrote:
          > --- In mythsoc@y..., Steve Schaper <sschaper@U...> wrote:
          > > What sort of symbols or inscriptions might Daeron of Beleriand
          > > have put on a musical instrument?
          > >
          > > What sort of names might have been given one? I'm having a
          > > cittern made for me, complete with lute rosette, and something
          > > understated and not over-the-top is what I have in mind.
          >
          > IIRC, Daeron invented the Angerthas alphabet later used
          > (exclusively?) by the elves. Don't have my books to hand but you
          > might try various letter combinations, along with the customary
          > dots on each end (single, double, and/or triple). Maybe an L since
          > Sindarin root word for music (singing) is Lin- Or you could have
          > your initials in Angerthas. See the appendices at the back of LotR.

          Daeron invented the Cirth (the Runes). The Angerthas Moria were a
          variant adapted by the Dwarves of Khazad-dum.

          Daeron may very well have decorated his instruments with "runes of
          power" (the meaning of which phrase is not explained anywhere, but it
          is used by Tolkien in at least two distinct passages). Tolkien's
          magic seems to be very closely associated with his music.

          The runes were apparently used by everyone in Middle-earth, and may
          have been more widely used than the Tengwar. Even Saruman's Orcs
          carved S-runes into their helms (or somehow put them on their helms).