Animated Princess and the Goblin

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2001
      My husband and I went used book shopping yesterday for my birthday and scored
      some interesting finds in the video department. The first was a BBC production
      of George MacDonald's Light Princess, with live actors, but animated backdrops,
      props, and animated animal characters. The animation reminded me of that in
      Monty Python and the Holy Grail, though not as well done. Most of the larger
      bones of the story were preserved, though Hum Drum and Kopy Keck were sadly
      absent, and Princess Makemnoit was apparently too proud of her acting skills
      to mutter or knit. The whole ended up being rather scarier than necessay, I
      thought.

      The other video is more interesting: an animated adaptation of The Princess
      and the Goblin. It's a fairly good adaptation, though Irene is called
      Irene-y throughout, and screams far too often. The only real problem I
      have with it is in the treatment of the great-great-grandmother, who explains
      herself too much, and (horrors) sells phone cards at the beginning of the
      video! The animated goblins are lovely, and the countryside around the castle
      is very close to how I'd imagined it.

      Anyway, I had no idea any of George MacDonald's works had been made into
      films, so I was surprised to find two in one store.