Published resources comparing Tolkien to horror

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2001
      I received the following request from a graduate student. I cannot
      think of any relevant literature on the subject, but didn't want to
      tell him there is none.

      If anyone can suggest some sources, I'll be glad to forward them.

      "I decided to do my dissertation on Tolkien as a tribute to the great
      writer. In my essay I will explore the influences that Tolkien may
      have had by the Gothic Literature and I will draw parallels between
      his books and Gothic novels, such as The Mysteries of Udolpho,
      Frankenstein, Dracula, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and
      others. I will explore the way Tolkien makes use of Gothic 'tools',
      such as the sublime, the doppelganger (the double), monstrosity and
      degeneration. I would be very grateful if you could suggest me any
      books or articles written on the subject. "

      In fact, I can see what he is getting at, and I like the idea. It
      may be worth exploring in one of my own future essays, but I cannot
      think of anyone who has examined this aspect of Tolkien.

      And I am in the process of moving, so all my books and journals are
      packed up and I cannot search through them.