Steward positions open

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2001
      Open Steward positions:

      Recording Secretary
      The Mythopoeic Society Council of Stewards invites applications for
      the position of Recording Secretary. The duties of this Society
      officer include keeping a complete record of the proceedings of the
      Council of Stewards and of the full membership (i.e., minutes of
      quarterly Council and annual general meetings) and distributing these
      as required, as well as supervising elections, ballot and other
      official mailings to Society members.

      Society Publicist
      The Mythopoeic Society Council of Stewards invites applications for
      the new position of Society Publicist. During the past few years,
      we've been hard at work improving our traditional activities
      (periodical publications, discussion groups, annual conference and
      awards) as well as initiating new undertakings such as the Mythopoeic
      Press and electronic discussions. We now need someone to coordinate
      publicity from all of our departments to better promote the Society
      and its activities. The current interest in fantasy literature,
      centering around the popularity of the Harry Potter book series and
      the upcoming Lord of the Rings film trilogy, presents a unique
      opportunity for the Mythopoeic Society to introduce the Inklings to
      new readers and find new members to participate in our activities.

      The duties of the Society Publicist will include working with other
      departments to create and distribute flyers, press releases and other
      information, to initiate contact with others (organizations,
      publishers, news organs, etc.) to help promote the Society, and to
      coordinate communication among the Society officers, members and the
      general public. E-mail access is essential for this position, as is
      the ability to generate printed and electronic publicity material for
      distribution. All of the Stewards will be happy to discuss their
      specific ideas and current publicity projects with anyone interested
      in taking on this job.

      The holders of these positions are members of the Council of
      Stewards, the Mythopoeic Society's governing body. Stewards are
      normally elected by the members of the Mythopoeic Society and hold
      their positions for three years. There is no limit to number of terms
      served on the Council. Chosen applicants for open positions will be
      appointed by the current Council members for the remainder of the
      current term, and can run for re-election at the end of this period.
      Steward responsibilities include participation in our quarterly
      meetings (which are held via conference telephone call), as well as
      the annual Mythcon members' meeting, and setting up and administering
      a budget for his/her department.

      To apply for either of these positions or if you would like more
      information, contact:

      Edith L. Crowe, Corresponding Secretary
      The Mythopoeic Society
      P.O. Box 320486