  • Joe Christopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2001
      >Do you know about the attempt of the writer Larry McMurtry to turn his
      >hometown of Archer City (in the Northern Panhandle, I believe) into a town
      of
      >used bookstores, like Hay-on-Wye in Wales?

      Wendell--

      Archer City is not _that_ far west and north, although it is north-west of
      Dallas-Fort Worth. It's within driving distance (probably three hours or
      so) from the metroplex; it's not far off 281 that runs down through Wichita
      Falls. (Archer City is slightly south of Wichita Falls, 20 miles or so;
      one should go west from 281 at Windthorst.) From what I've heard, the
      books tend to be in good condition and priced accordingly--but there are
      many books, more than one building of them. One of these years I'll stop
      by there...

      --Joe