Author John Bellairs (1938-1991)

  • zimmsbio@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2001
      We are looking for any biographical information we can find about
      author John Anthony Bellairs, born January 17, 1938 in Marshall,
      Michigan. Bellairs was a popular gothic novelist; writing 18 books
      including "St. Fidgeta and Other Parodies" (1966), "The
      Pedant and the Shuffly" (1968), "The Face in the Frost" (1969),
      "The House with a Clock In its Walls" (1973), "The Treasure of Alpheus
      Winterborn" (1978), and "The Curse of the Blue Figurine" (1983).
      Bellairs died in Haverhill, MA, on March 8, 1991 of a heart attack.

      Both the Tolkien-inspired "The Face in the Frost" and
      "The Pedant and the Shuffly" have recently been released. For
      information on Bellairs's books:
      http://www.compleatbellairs.com/adventures.shtml

      Unfortunately, there are only a few brief biographical sketches
      written on John's life and many are outdated and leave numerous
      questions unanswered. For inquiring fans and for those simply curious
      about the life of this wonderful author, this can prove quite
      frustrating, to say the least. We would like nothing better than to
      remedy this situation. It is our goal to accumulate as much
      information as we can on John's life and work.

      There is little known about John's early years and we hope our
      message might get into the hands of someone who could assist us. John
      graduated with in 1959 from Notre Dame and then earned an M.A. in
      English from the University of Chicago in 1960. He later taught at
      the College of St. Teresa (Winona, MN, 1963-65), Shimer College
      (Mount Carroll, IL, 1966-67), Emmanuel College (Boston, MA, 1968-71)
      and Merrimack College (North Andover, MA).

      We have created a web site where we explain in greater detail our
      endeavor, what research we have accumulated up to this point, as well
      as an email link where people can send any stories and anecdotes, no
      matter how trivial they may seem. If possible, we ask please that our
      message be directed along a path you feel might help our cause, to
      others who might be able to provide additional insight. Who knows, if
      we can accumulate enough information on John, we might consider
      writing a more complete biography. That, for now though, is another
      story. In the meantime, we thank you for any and all your help: it is
      greatly appreciated. Cheers!
      http://www.geocities.com/zimmsbio/