Used Bookstores in the Dallas Area

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2001
      Does anyone know of any good used bookstores in the Dallas area? We
      moved here recently enough that I haven't checked any out, and I get
      to buy books for my birthday on Tuesday! I'm hoping for one of those
      great older stores that are so crammed full of books that the floor
      sags.
    • Randall Eicher
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2001
        Judith asked

        > Does anyone know of any good used bookstores in the Dallas area? We
        > moved here recently enough that I haven't checked any out, and I get
        > to buy books for my birthday on Tuesday! I'm hoping for one of those
        > great older stores that are so crammed full of books that the floor
        > sags.

        Well, I know the type you are looking for and I haven't found that kind of
        used book store in the Dallas area yet and I have been here about 11 years.
        It seems used books are big business here, the dominant store is Half-Price
        Books, which has numerous locations throughout the metroplex. Their stores
        vary both in size and quality of what they carry. The largest and probably
        the best of their branches is located on Loop 12, two or three blocks east
        of Central Expressway (US 75). It is located on the north side of Loop 12.
        They have various other locations but I don't know what area of this
        sprawling metroplex you are in.

        There did used to be the type of store you describe somewhere in downtown
        Fort Worth but the last time I heard about it, they were talking about it
        closing down because the owner was retiring.

        Randall Eicher
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2001
          Do you know about the attempt of the writer Larry McMurtry to turn his
          hometown of Archer City (in the Northern Panhandle, I believe) into a town of
          used bookstores, like Hay-on-Wye in Wales? Here's a random article on the
          town:

          http://www.bookmagazine.com/archive/issue11/shopwatch.shtml

          These sorts of bookstores don't exist in the middle of metropolitan areas, in
          general. The rents are too high for them.