RE: [mythsoc] Le Guin, spelling & background info

  • Julia Palffy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 17, 2001
      I have always seen her name consistently spelled Le Guin.

      Ursula Le Guin has written a variety of books and stories, the best know
      being the Earthsea trilogy (which actually should be called a tetralogy
      since she later added a fourth volume). The novels are set in an imaginary
      island world where magic shapes history and everyday life, and wizards play
      an important role. The stories are about taking responsibility for one's
      life and talents, and living in consequence. What I like is that the battle
      between good and evil is depicted in a realistic way, with all the
      in-between nuances and doubts and dead-ends to be found in real life
      situations, and not just as a tale in black and white.

      Besides this, my favourites are "Very far away from anywhere else" and "The
      Beginning Place", two stories about modern American teenagers trying to
      figure out who they are and what they want to do in life. "Very far away..."
      is situated in the 'real' world. The narrator has a private fantasy world
      where he can be himself and cultivate his dreams, and he eventually shares
      it with his girlfriend, an aspiring composer who starts creating music for
      this fantasy world.

      In "The Beginning Place", a girl discovers an entrance to another world, to
      which she returns from time to time. Then a lonely boy stumbles into it too,
      and although they dislike each other at first, they are sent to kill a
      dragon, and the adventure brings them together. This book, however, is not
      at all of the swashbuckling epic type, it's more about the development of
      the main characters. Throughout the story, the reader retains the impression
      that they have stumbled into this other world only by chance, and in spite
      of their love for it, they remain strangers to it and really know very
      little.

      Ursula Le Guin has also written some excellent science-fiction (although I
      like what I read of it rather less than her fantasy, this is purely a matter
      of personal taste), essays, and books for children.

      For more information, look up this URL:
      http://www.coolmemes.com/reader/leguin.htm

      Julia Palffy
      Zug, Switzerland
      jupalffy@...
    • Grace E. Funk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2001
        When Ursula Le Guin autographed my copy of "The Language of the Night"
        (which is a collection of introduction, short, pithy essays and tart
        comments on fantasy and science fiction) she signed it Le Guin, as it
        appears in print on the title page, and on others of her titles. Grace.

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2001
          Thanks, all.

          Mary S