No LOTR Lunchboxes

  • Sweet & Tender Hooligan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2001
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010613/en/film-rings_1.html

      "Lord of the Rings" -- the marketing blitz is on
      By Steve James

      NEW YORK (Reuters) - Gandalf the Wizard and Frodo the Hobbit invaded New
      York from Middle Earth Wednesday to kick-off a six-month countdown for the
      first "Lord of the Rings" movie.

      New Line Cinema's booth was a popular stop at the Licensing International
      2001 show, as buyers from around the world craned for a first look at the
      promotional tie-ins that will accompany the first screen version of J.R.R.
      Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

      What they saw were action figures of the main characters and collectibles,
      such as busts and miniatures of battle axes and swords wielded by elves and
      orcs from Tolkien's classic fantasy stories of good versus evil.

      "The Fellowship of the Ring," starring Elijah Wood as Frodo and Ian McKellen
      as Gandalf, won't be in theaters until Dec. 19, but industry insiders had a
      25-minute sneak preview at the Cannes film festival last month and New
      Line's licensing partners saw the same clip in New York Tuesday night.

      "Everyone finally realized that this is a reality now," said David Imhoff,
      New Line's vice president for licensing and merchandising. He said some of
      the approximately 70 promotional "partners" had been a little apprehensive
      as they signed up for rights to sell products based on the movie more than
      two years ago while filming was still going on in New Zealand.

      But all nervousness disappeared two weeks ago when New Line announced its
      biggest promotional campaign ever -- with Burger King which will feature
      characters from the film in some 10,000 restaurants worldwide. Another big
      partner to sign on is Japanese video equipment maker JVC

      CAMPAIGN BIGGER THAN 'AUSTIN POWERS'

      Imhoff wouldn't say how much the campaign was worth or what partners were
      paying for the rights to use the images of Bilbo Baggins and other
      characters, but it was more than for its previous biggest, the two ``Austin
      Powers'' movies.

      He said New Line, a subsidiary of AOL Time Warner spent $300 million to make
      the movie and the two others in the trilogy -- "The Two Towers" and "The
      Return of the King" which were shot at the same time. The other two will be
      released a year and two years respectively after "The Fellowship of the
      Ring."

      "That was something unprecedented, making three films back-to-back," Imhoff
      told Reuters. "But some of our partners signed up for all three movies, and
      that shows commitment."

      Asked how New Line decided on what kinds of products to license, Imhoff said
      "our aim was (for partners) to get immersed in the film, it was not
      traditional." That means no images of characters on lunch boxes.

      For example, the busts of "Ring" characters were created by a partnership
      between Sideshow Inc. of Westlake Village, Calif. and New Zealand's Weta
      Workshop, which created the effects for the three films. Action figures are
      made by Toy Biz, a unit of Marvel Enterprises while Playmates Toys will
      market a line of building blocks and figures and Decipher is marketing "Lord
      of the Rings" trading card games.

      "These are not tchotchkes (shoddy souvenirs)," said Imhoff. "Everything was
      about being true to (director) Peter Jackson's vision of Middle Earth.
      Tolkien created a fantasy genre, the fan base is so deep."

      Although New Line has the film rights to the stories, Tolkien's estate has
      the publishing rights, and the movie could set off a surge in reading, said
      Imhoff.

      "The Lord of the Rings" has sold some 50 million copies and been translated
      into dozens of languages. But already, with the movie buzz, book sales rose
      400 percent in the past year, said Imhoff.

      "And that's without marketing," he added.

      Reuters/Variety REUTERS

    • David J. Finnamore
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., "Sweet & Tender Hooligan" <cirhsein@y...> wrote:
        > biggest promotional campaign ever -- with Burger King which will
        feature
        > characters from the film in some 10,000 restaurants worldwide.

        Pleeeease, make it all go awaaaaaayy!

        David