Re: [mythsoc] Hobbit names

  • Ron Bryant
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 13, 2001
      On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:29:55 -0500 Juliet Blosser <juliet@...>
      writes back to Stolzi@... :

      > > > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp
      > >
      > > I think it's a random name generator.....
      >
      > >But it kept "Foxburr" for Conrad - yet gave him the most
      > >unlikely of hobbit first names: Grigory.
      >
      > From what friends and I have been able to tell, it uses the
      > name you give as the seed to generate a random index for a
      > list of names. Thus any given name will always return the
      > same hobbit name. It's smart enough that the hobbit name
      > of Bilbo Baggins is still Bilbo Baggins, but I did have a
      > bit offun finding out the hobbit name of my hobbit's name's
      > hobbit's name and so on.

      All the real names seem to be matched to a specific hobbit name,
      agreeable or not, and it even matches on certain variants, but not all.
      My given name, Ronald, is supposedly the Scots variant of "Reginald,"
      which in turn is supposedly an Old English variant of "Roland." (Someone
      better versed in names, feel free to correct this ... it's very likely
      I'm wrong on details!) Likewise, with variants of my last name, with the
      exception of quasi-variants like Bryan. I can't remember what my results
      were because I was thunderstruck by my next experiment. My Significant
      Other of former days would have enjoyed this diversion, so I entered her
      name. Her surname happens to be Percy, but it works with a few variants,
      like Percey, Piercy and Piercey, so I got "Peony Tolkien!"

      Mr. Wetherell has an interesting sense of humor ...

      Under the Mercy,

      R.
      "Coffee...the finest organic suspension ever devised!" -- Cap'n Kate
      Janeway
      E-mail: rbryant42@...
      Web pages: http://www.geocities.com/r_bryant42/
      http://www.geocities.com/rbryant42/
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
        Well, not hobbit names, but Elvish names - if you'd like to find an Elvish
        name that might actually correspond to your own, and wasn't created by a
        random name-generator, check out the Quenya Babybook at
        <http://www.inf.upol.cz/~mullerr/theresa/names.html>. Sorry, not all of
        the names of frequent denizens of this list are in there, but a fair number
        are.

        - Meldon
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
          From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

          > Well, not hobbit names, but Elvish names - if you'd like to find an Elvish
          > name that might actually correspond to your own, and wasn't created by a
          > random name-generator, check out the Quenya Babybook at
          > <http://www.inf.upol.cz/~mullerr/theresa/names.html>

          As close as I can figure out, my name would be Morcotulcolle, as the
          feminine diminutive of Bernard. Yipes! That's even longer than Bernadette,
          which I don't use partly because it's too many letters.

          > Meldon

          I'm sorry, Meldon is a dorky name to my ear. I much prefer the sound of
          David.

          Berni