Re: [mythsoc] Hobbit names

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
      On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 05:08:41PM -0400, Stolzi@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 6/12/01 1:51:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
      > emfarrell@... writes:
      >
      > > > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp
      > >
      > > I think it's a random name generator.....
      >
      > But it kept "Foxburr" for Conrad - yet gave him the most unlikely of hobbit
      > first names: Grigory.

      From what friends and I have been able to tell, it uses the name you give
      as the seed to generate a random index for a list of names. Thus any given
      name will always return the same hobbit name. It's smart enough that the
      hobbit name of Bilbo Baggins is still Bilbo Baggins, but I did have a bit of
      fun finding out the hobbit name of my hobbit's name's hobbit's name and so
      on. ;)
    • Eleanor Farrell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
        > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp

        I think it's a random name generator..... how else could someone
        named "Eleanor" get "Molly" as a suggestion???!

        Ellie
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
          emfarrell@... writes:

          > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp

          Lila Foxburr of Loamstown. I thought for sure it said "Foxbutt." Ellie will
          understand!

          Actually I =have= a very hobbity last name, it translates as "Proudbrook."
          Just don't know my hobbit first name yet.

          Mary S
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 2001
            emfarrell@... writes:

            > > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp
            >
            > I think it's a random name generator.....

            But it kept "Foxburr" for Conrad - yet gave him the most unlikely of hobbit
            first names: Grigory.

            mary s
          • Ron Bryant
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2001
              On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 05:29:55 -0500 Juliet Blosser <juliet@...>
              writes back to Stolzi@... :

              > > > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp
              > >
              > > I think it's a random name generator.....
              >
              > >But it kept "Foxburr" for Conrad - yet gave him the most
              > >unlikely of hobbit first names: Grigory.
              >
              > From what friends and I have been able to tell, it uses the
              > name you give as the seed to generate a random index for a
              > list of names. Thus any given name will always return the
              > same hobbit name. It's smart enough that the hobbit name
              > of Bilbo Baggins is still Bilbo Baggins, but I did have a
              > bit offun finding out the hobbit name of my hobbit's name's
              > hobbit's name and so on.

              All the real names seem to be matched to a specific hobbit name,
              agreeable or not, and it even matches on certain variants, but not all.
              My given name, Ronald, is supposedly the Scots variant of "Reginald,"
              which in turn is supposedly an Old English variant of "Roland." (Someone
              better versed in names, feel free to correct this ... it's very likely
              I'm wrong on details!) Likewise, with variants of my last name, with the
              exception of quasi-variants like Bryan. I can't remember what my results
              were because I was thunderstruck by my next experiment. My Significant
              Other of former days would have enjoyed this diversion, so I entered her
              name. Her surname happens to be Percy, but it works with a few variants,
              like Percey, Piercy and Piercey, so I got "Peony Tolkien!"

              Mr. Wetherell has an interesting sense of humor ...

              Under the Mercy,

              R.
              "Coffee...the finest organic suspension ever devised!" -- Cap'n Kate
              Janeway
              E-mail: rbryant42@...
              Web pages: http://www.geocities.com/r_bryant42/
              http://www.geocities.com/rbryant42/
              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2 10:41 AM
                Well, not hobbit names, but Elvish names - if you'd like to find an Elvish
                name that might actually correspond to your own, and wasn't created by a
                random name-generator, check out the Quenya Babybook at
                <http://www.inf.upol.cz/~mullerr/theresa/names.html>. Sorry, not all of
                the names of frequent denizens of this list are in there, but a fair number
                are.

                - Meldon
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2 5:16 PM
                  From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>

                  > Well, not hobbit names, but Elvish names - if you'd like to find an Elvish
                  > name that might actually correspond to your own, and wasn't created by a
                  > random name-generator, check out the Quenya Babybook at
                  > <http://www.inf.upol.cz/~mullerr/theresa/names.html>

                  As close as I can figure out, my name would be Morcotulcolle, as the
                  feminine diminutive of Bernard. Yipes! That's even longer than Bernadette,
                  which I don't use partly because it's too many letters.

                  > Meldon

                  I'm sorry, Meldon is a dorky name to my ear. I much prefer the sound of
                  David.

                  Berni