Re: [mythsoc] Hobbit name

  • Juliet Blosser
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 11, 2001
      On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 07:53:50PM -0500, Joan Marie Verba wrote:
      > Mary Kay Kare wrote:
      >
      > > Or your hobbit name
      > >
      > > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp
      >
      > I got Myrtle Bolger....

      I got Estella Burrows, but my husband's made me laugh...Pimpernel!
    • Juliet Blosser
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 11, 2001
        On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:31:56PM -0400, Margaret Dean wrote:
        > > > Or your hobbit name
        > > >
        > > > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp
        >
        > Well, it's not working for me (or maybe I just haven't got the
        > hang of it), but I really don't need a computer-generated hobbit
        > name anyway: I picked out "Carnelian Took" years ago.
        >
        > --Margaret Dean

        In case you're curious, the page suggests "Autumn Hardbottle" for
        your name.
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 11, 2001
          Joan Marie Verba wrote:

          > Mary Kay Kare wrote:
          >
          > > Or your hobbit name
          > >
          > > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp
          >
          > I got Myrtle Bolger....

          Well, it's not working for me (or maybe I just haven't got the
          hang of it), but I really don't need a computer-generated hobbit
          name anyway: I picked out "Carnelian Took" years ago.

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 11, 2001
            Mary Kay Kare wrote:

            > Or your hobbit name
            >
            > http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/default.asp

            I got Myrtle Bolger....

            Joan
          • Margaret Dean
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 11, 2001
              Juliet Blosser wrote:

              > > Well, it's not working for me (or maybe I just haven't got the
              > > hang of it), but I really don't need a computer-generated hobbit
              > > name anyway: I picked out "Carnelian Took" years ago.
              >
              > In case you're curious, the page suggests "Autumn Hardbottle" for
              > your name.

              I think I like mine better. :)

              --Margaret Dean
              <margdean@...>
            • Meryl
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                At 22:31 11/06/01 -0400, you wrote:
                >Juliet Blosser wrote:

                I rather like mine: Esmerelda Sandybanks of Frogmorton :)
              • James P. Robinson III
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                  What was the URL of the Elf name generator?

                  Jim

                  As the clock struck 09:22 PM 6/12/2001 +1000, Meryl took pen in hand and wrote:
                  >At 22:31 11/06/01 -0400, you wrote:
                  > >Juliet Blosser wrote:

                  >I rather like mine: Esmerelda Sandybanks of Frogmorton :)

                  James P. Robinson III jprobins@...

                  author. It may be quoted only in discussions on this forum and with
                  an attribution to the author, unless permission is otherwise expressly
                  given in writing.
                • NiffMarie@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 12, 2001
                    In a message dated 6/11/2001 10:15:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    juliet@... writes:

                    > In case you're curious, the page suggests "Autumn Hardbottle" for
                    > your name.

                    Hi! I don't speak up much but love the discussions!

                    Anyway, I came out as "Marigold Hardbottle". How do they determine it, does
                    anyone know? I think it's pretty neat though...

                    --Niff
                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 13, 2001

                      > > Well, it's not working for me (or maybe I just haven't got the
                      > > hang of it), but I really don't need a computer-generated hobbit
                      > > name anyway: I picked out "Carnelian Took" years ago.
                      >
                      > In case you're curious, the page suggests "Autumn Hardbottle" for
                      > your name.

                      I think I like mine better. :)

                      How did you go about picking yours? I came up (on the site) with "Camelia Burrows." Er, I suppose I am a "Burrow-hobbit" (You may hit me now.) On the Elf name list, *of course* Diane was not there.

                      So I went to my copy of Ruth Noel---having no better source to hand, I'm afraid---and came up with Quenyan Isiliel, or Sindarian, Ithiliel, both of which mean "moon maiden," since Diane is a derivative of Diana, which = goddess of the moon." Isil = moon, and -iel is a f. name suffix. Another alternative is Isiltari = moon queen. Suggestions are welcome from those better versed. ---djb.

                      http://www.mail2web.com/ .
                    • Margaret Dean
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 13, 2001
                        "dianejoy@..." wrote:

                        > Juliet Blosser wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 08:31:56PM -0400, Margaret Dean wrote:

                        > > > Well, it's not working for me (or maybe I just haven't got the
                        > > > hang of it), but I really don't need a computer-generated hobbit
                        > > > name anyway: I picked out "Carnelian Took" years ago.
                        > >
                        > > In case you're curious, the page suggests "Autumn Hardbottle" for
                        > > your name.
                        >
                        > I think I like mine better. :)
                        >
                        > How did you go about picking yours?

                        Since jewel-names were one of the common options for
                        hobbit-women, I used my birthstone (or one of them; there are
                        several options for August) and the hobbit family I decided I
                        wanted to belong to. Later on I decided that Carnelian was the
                        daughter of Faramir Took and Goldilocks (I think it was) Gamgee,
                        so that she had both Pippin and Sam for grandfathers. :)

                        I could also, of course, use "Pearl," which is what "Margaret"
                        means, but JRRT had already used that one.

                        --Margaret Dean
                        <margdean@...>
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 13, 2001
                          In a message dated 06/13/2001 10:47:55 AM Central Daylight Time,
                          margdean@... writes:

                          > jewel-names

                          Not bad, Margaret! If I used my birthstone I could be Diamond Proudbrook.
                          Or my state flower, Jasmine (Yellow-jasmine?) Proudbrook.

                          Or Rose after Rosie Cotton, whom I played once, but not on TV.

                          Mary S
                        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 17, 2001
                            Meryl -

                            We must be related! Mine came out Ruby Sandybanks of Frogmorton.
                            My husband and son are Ponto. I don't think we'll be using them.

                            Mythically yours,

                            Lisa Harrigan