Re: Village Voice Article

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Staci Dumoski <icats@e...> wrote:
      > Every time I read one of these articles which talk about the general
      > negative response of the literary elite to the LOTR, I can't help
      > wondering. If Tolkien had not been a scholar and academic himself,
      > would his work get the same type of critical analysis and panning?
      > Or would it simply be acknowledged as a great story that has
      > captured the imagination of a great many people, which is -- I
      > think -- the real reason for its popularity.

      Tolkien has always had support from fellow academics. He gets more
      today than he did 50 years ago. Academia likes its differences in
      tastes in opinions.

      When I wrote my first research paper on Tolkien 20 years ago, I found
      he had far more defenders (in my college's library) than detractors.
      People were still responding to "Oo! Those awful Orcs" even in the
      late 1970s (and I suppose they are responding even today).

      I have found that the greatest credence is given to the attackers by
      the defenders, and that is perhaps one of the chief reasons for why
      we keep seeing media reports about the literary critics who don't
      like Tolkien.

      But is there any Tolkien detractor who gets the kind of response and
      support from a readership of a Tom Shippey?

      I think David Day does more harm to Tolkien's reputation than any
      literary critic ever could. :)