Re: response to review of Tolkien.

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9 10:47 PM
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Bill <lunacy@i...> wrote:
      > I'm not surprised by all this new wave of anti-Tolkien
      articles.
      > The sad fact is that genre fiction overall outsells mainstream.

      It may be fashionable to trash Tolkien among book critics and
      reviewers, but I believe there is a much more mundane force at work.
      I subscribe to a number of mailing lists for authors. The word on
      the Net is that many publications are either only accepting negative
      reviews or are at least encouraging some negativity in the reviews.
      It is supposedly more "honest" when a reviewer finds something to
      object to, than when a reviewer merely acts like a cheerleader.

      So, Tolkien has a lot of company.

      Whether some people are pursuing personal agendae in their reviews is
      another matter. I don't doubt that some of these latest articles are
      reactions to the movie hype. But the negativity that we're seeing in
      today's news publications may simply be an indication of current
      editorial preferences, and there is nothing unique in that kind of
      attention as it is being directed at Tolkien.