Re: Lewis in bookstores

  • rspeer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11 10:20 AM
      I understand the disillusion with the culture in America today. However, I
      think that Austin Powers had aught to do with this decline, if you will, of
      today's culture. I saw the first one and thought it was a cute movie. I
      love the spoof that Mike Myers had of a Briton in the 60's. The movie as a
      whole was goofy, but watchable. That is similiar to saying that Star Wars
      is our myth. I'm sorry, but I can't see the connection. Christianity in
      it's true state is what people such as Tolkien or Lewis potrayed in their
      attitude. We, as a whole, have disfigured Christainity with our doomsday
      predictions and our television evangelists. I tend to lean toward
      Catholicsm, but God allows us to worship him in our own way.
      Thank you,
      Ron

      ----------
      > From: Edith Louise Crowe <ecrowe@...>
      > To: mythsoc@onelist.com
      > Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Lewis in bookstores
      > Date: Sunday, 11 July, 1999 11:39 AM
      >
      > From: Edith Louise Crowe <ecrowe@...>
      >
      > On Thu, 8 Jul 1999 Stolzi@... wrote:
      >
      > > From: Stolzi@...
      > >
      > > Many have made fun of this parallel Christian "cultural ghetto," but I
      have a
      > > certain sympathy, given the state of the culture at large. At least in

      > > Lifeway I was not confronted by a single lifesize cardboard cutout of
      Austin

    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11 3:31 PM
        In a message dated 7/11/99 12:29:58 PM Central Daylight Time, rspeer@...
        writes:

        > However, I
        > think that Austin Powers had aught to do with this decline, if you will, of
        > today's culture.

        He is not a cause but a symptom. It's the crude, leering vulgarity which I
        can't stand.

        Edith, we have a commercial on TV here in which the ineffable Austin P bares
        his bottom and is heard talking to a massage girl about his 'heinie' in a
        lispingly precious manner which makes me want to BARF. I'm with ya, girl;
        can't wait for the craze to be over :\ Even looking at his stupid teeth
        makes me ill.

        Mary S
      • rspeer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11 4:06 PM
          I concede that there is so much sexual inneundo in the Austin Powers
          movies. However, if that is our culture at its worst, then we are not bad.
          There is so much much wrong with our society than Austin Powers.
          Ron