MCKELLAN'S GANDALF NOT RAGGED

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2001
      MCKELLAN'S GANDALF NOT RAGGED

      Ian McKellen, who plays Gandalf the Grey in Peter Jackson's upcoming
      Lord of
      the Rings film trilogy, told fans on his official Web site that viewers
      should not be fooled by his ragged appearance in recent trailers.
      "Gandalf
      the Grey is a wanderer and survives a number of long journeys by foot
      and
      horseback," McKellen wrote.

      "He is rarely sitting out of harm's way in his pony-trap," McKellen
      added.
      "So of course he gets dusty and dirty, without benefit of wayside
      washrooms.
      Haggard perhaps to look at, but that doesn't stop his being gentle or
      paternal when appropriate."

      McKellen also said he doesn't compare his potential Rings fame with that
      endured by Alec Guinness after Star Wars. "Sir Alec didn't like the
      sparse
      dialogue in Star Wars," McKellen wrote. "By contrast, Gandalf gets some
      of
      Tolkien's best writing. As for the iconic status of the role, I can
      always
      escape into my customary anonymity by not wearing a pointy hat in
      public."
      The first Rings film, The Fellowship of the Ring, opens Dec. 19.