Re: [mythsoc] BW's next year topics (tentative)

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2001
      At 10:06 AM 6/6/2001 , Diane Joy Baker wrote:
      >For those of you on list interested in contributing to next year's BW, I
      >have concocted a *tentative* list for topics:

      I think this is a good list.

      >Sept. G. K. Chesterton: Man of Mysteries (Includes Fr. Brown.)

      This will give me an opportunity to review why I dislike the Father Brown
      stories so much, and to re-read the much superior Man Who Was Thursday.

      >Nov. Declare by Tim Powers

      Technically a 2001 book, I believe, and perhaps it might be out in
      paperback by then.

      >Jan. The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin
      >Mar. American Gods by Neil Gaiman

      How about that, two upcoming books I actually want to read. But as the
      Gaiman is due in June, and the Le Guin not until October, perhaps we should
      reverse the order.

      >May MFA Awards
      >July Turkish Delights: Fantasy and Food [I see this as covering stories
      >where food is important to the plot or involving unusual foods, recipes and
      >concoctions. Inns that serve "stew" don't count, tho JRRT effectively uses
      >"comfort" food for comfort and sustenanceand unusual foods, i.e *lembas.* ]

      This is broad and unusual enough that I think we could get some good
      discussion out of it. Both Lewis and Tolkien explore the moral
      implications of food and sustenance. I don't think you need worry about
      banning anonymous "stew": as there's little to be said about it, little
      will be said. Though I believe Diana Wynne Jones addressed this point in
      the Tough Guide to Fantasyland.

      David Bratman
    • Matt Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2001
        Diane,

        I agree with David Bratman that the list looks good. I also second his
        suggestion that we reverse the order of the Gaiman and LeGuin, as that will
        make it easier on those of us who are library dependent. For what it's
        worth, I doubt that the Powers will be out in paperback by November....but
        it should certainly be obtainable by the library route.

        Matt
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2001
          Once again, please keep in mind that there are many members of this list
          who won't know what "BW" means, and if it's mentioned on this list,
          please explain what it is in the post.

          BW is Butterbur's Woodshed, a regular publication that discusses various
          Mythopoeic-related works.

          Just a friendly reminder.

          Joan Marie Verba
          Your friendly neighborhood Mythsoc list administrator
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2001
            In a message dated 06/06/2001 3:38:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
            verba001@... writes:

            > BW is Butterbur's Woodshed, a regular publication that discusses various
            > Mythopoeic-related works.

            We should also say, though it's covered on the webpage, that BW is not a
            subscription magazine; it is sent only to its member/contributors.

            Though I'm sure Diane wd be happy to hear from any of you about good
            suggestions for our next year's (running Sept 2001-July 2002, every other
            month) topic list.

            And we happily send sample issues ($2) to people with a serious interest in
            becoming members.

            Mary S
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6, 2001
              In a message dated 06/06/2001 1:44:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              > the Le Guin

              But.. what about the TALES FROM EARTHSEA which you reviewed in the new
              MYTHPRINT? My appetite's kind of whetted for that one. It comes before THE
              OTHER WIND.

              >anonymous "stew"

              What about gruesome stew, such as wd better =remain= anonymous?

              Grimmly,
              Mary S
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2001
                dbratman@... writes:

                > the Le Guin

                But.. what about the TALES FROM EARTHSEA which you reviewed in the new
                MYTHPRINT? My appetite's kind of whetted for that one. It comes before THE
                OTHER WIND.

                So's mine; perhaps people could discuss either one? I didn't review that one; David Bratman did. And an excellent job he did.

                >anonymous "stew"

                What about gruesome stew, such as wd better =remain= anonymous?

                I can imagine a dreadful inn which served fried demon leg and grue stew.
                Toothsome! Obviously a four star stop on *Fodor's Guide to Hell.* ---djb.

                Grimmly,
                Mary S

                http://www.mail2web.com/ .