BW's next year topics (tentative)

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6 10:06 AM
      For those of you on list interested in contributing to next year's BW, I
      have concocted a *tentative* list for topics:

      Sept. G. K. Chesterton: Man of Mysteries (Includes Fr. Brown.)
      Nov. Declare by Tim Powers
      Jan. The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin
      Mar. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
      May MFA Awards
      July Turkish Delights: Fantasy and Food [I see this as covering stories
      where food is important to the plot or involving unusual foods, recipes and
      concoctions. Inns that serve "stew" don't count, tho JRRT effectively uses
      "comfort" food for comfort and sustenanceand unusual foods, i.e *lembas.* ]

      If anyone has better suggestions, I'll take 'em. Le Guin and Powers
      interest me a lot; we can always change Gaiman if it doesn't catch on, tho
      to me a new Gaiman is always interesting. Spy stuff seems big this year,
      which is neat; I like the idea of spy motifs being incorporated into
      fantasy. Good topic for GKC. ---djb
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6 11:16 AM
        At 10:06 AM 6/6/2001 , Diane Joy Baker wrote:
        >For those of you on list interested in contributing to next year's BW, I
        >have concocted a *tentative* list for topics:

        I think this is a good list.

        >Sept. G. K. Chesterton: Man of Mysteries (Includes Fr. Brown.)

        This will give me an opportunity to review why I dislike the Father Brown
        stories so much, and to re-read the much superior Man Who Was Thursday.

        >Nov. Declare by Tim Powers

        Technically a 2001 book, I believe, and perhaps it might be out in
        paperback by then.

        >Jan. The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin
        >Mar. American Gods by Neil Gaiman

        How about that, two upcoming books I actually want to read. But as the
        Gaiman is due in June, and the Le Guin not until October, perhaps we should
        reverse the order.

        >May MFA Awards
        >July Turkish Delights: Fantasy and Food [I see this as covering stories
        >where food is important to the plot or involving unusual foods, recipes and
        >concoctions. Inns that serve "stew" don't count, tho JRRT effectively uses
        >"comfort" food for comfort and sustenanceand unusual foods, i.e *lembas.* ]

        This is broad and unusual enough that I think we could get some good
        discussion out of it. Both Lewis and Tolkien explore the moral
        implications of food and sustenance. I don't think you need worry about
        banning anonymous "stew": as there's little to be said about it, little
        will be said. Though I believe Diana Wynne Jones addressed this point in
        the Tough Guide to Fantasyland.

        David Bratman
      • Matt Fisher
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6 12:50 PM
          Diane,

          I agree with David Bratman that the list looks good. I also second his
          suggestion that we reverse the order of the Gaiman and LeGuin, as that will
          make it easier on those of us who are library dependent. For what it's
          worth, I doubt that the Powers will be out in paperback by November....but
          it should certainly be obtainable by the library route.

          Matt
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6 1:15 PM
            Once again, please keep in mind that there are many members of this list
            who won't know what "BW" means, and if it's mentioned on this list,
            please explain what it is in the post.

            BW is Butterbur's Woodshed, a regular publication that discusses various
            Mythopoeic-related works.

            Just a friendly reminder.

            Joan Marie Verba
            Your friendly neighborhood Mythsoc list administrator
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 6 5:59 PM
              In a message dated 06/06/2001 3:38:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
              verba001@... writes:

              > BW is Butterbur's Woodshed, a regular publication that discusses various
              > Mythopoeic-related works.

              We should also say, though it's covered on the webpage, that BW is not a
              subscription magazine; it is sent only to its member/contributors.

              Though I'm sure Diane wd be happy to hear from any of you about good
              suggestions for our next year's (running Sept 2001-July 2002, every other
              month) topic list.

              And we happily send sample issues ($2) to people with a serious interest in
              becoming members.

              Mary S
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 6 5:59 PM
                In a message dated 06/06/2001 1:44:30 PM Central Daylight Time,
                dbratman@... writes:

                > the Le Guin

                But.. what about the TALES FROM EARTHSEA which you reviewed in the new
                MYTHPRINT? My appetite's kind of whetted for that one. It comes before THE
                OTHER WIND.

                >anonymous "stew"

                What about gruesome stew, such as wd better =remain= anonymous?

                Grimmly,
                Mary S
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 7 5:52 AM
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  > the Le Guin

                  But.. what about the TALES FROM EARTHSEA which you reviewed in the new
                  MYTHPRINT? My appetite's kind of whetted for that one. It comes before THE
                  OTHER WIND.

                  So's mine; perhaps people could discuss either one? I didn't review that one; David Bratman did. And an excellent job he did.

                  >anonymous "stew"

                  What about gruesome stew, such as wd better =remain= anonymous?

                  I can imagine a dreadful inn which served fried demon leg and grue stew.
                  Toothsome! Obviously a four star stop on *Fodor's Guide to Hell.* ---djb.

                  Grimmly,
                  Mary S

                  http://www.mail2web.com/ .