Re: LORD OF RINGS AND ONION RINGS - PERFECT TOGETHER!

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
      > You couldn't make up something as satirical and self-condemnatory
      as this
      > article.

      I'm in the process of moving and can't spend much time online, so I
      can't recheck the article. But I think that's a press release from
      New Line Cinema about the Burger King deal. I wouldn't worry too
      much about what the press releases say. They are just trying to
      build up media interest, after all.
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
        I'm not shaking in my boots in fear at the prospect of grotty Burger King
        souvenirs, if that's what you mean. Burger King souvenirs, as opposed to
        announcements of them, have never impinged on my consciousness before, and
        there have been grotty LOTR-inspired (if "inspired" is the word) before,
        even predating Tolkien Enterprises.

        No, my amusement was at the juxtaposition of a plot summary consisting
        essentially of "Gandalf ... leads Frodo on his quest to destroy the magical
        ring that makes its wearer invisible, but at a price -- corruption" and
        stuff like the immediately following line, which reads "Both companies were
        typically tight-lipped about how much they paid to get Gandalf, Frodo and
        the Hobbits to come to 'The Home of the Whopper'."

        People who enjoy making fun of the handicapped might also be amused by
        reading advertising executives trying to describe the appeal of great
        fantasy: "It will really mirror the movie, it's all in the imagination.
        It's whatever you can imagine," and "New Line is delivering an epic film
        that truly delivers what made 'The Lord of the Rings' the phenomenon it is
        today."

        David Bratman