Re: LORD OF RINGS AND ONION RINGS - PERFECT TOGETHER!

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
      --- In mythsoc@y..., Matthew S Winslow <mithlond@j...> wrote:
      > On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:54:49 -0500 Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...>
      > writes:
      > > ever -- eclipsing the one for ``Austin Powers : The Spy Who
      > > Shagged Me''
      >
      > It's a dark day when LOTR and a Mike Myers movie are mentioned in
      > the same press release.

      Maybe "Shrek" will replace "Austin Powers" as the Mike Myers
      trademark movie.

      I can see the crossover slash fan fic now: Sauron and Lord Farquadd
      meet in a forest, and....
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        You couldn't make up something as satirical and self-condemnatory as this
        article.

        David Bratman
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
          > You couldn't make up something as satirical and self-condemnatory
          as this
          > article.

          I'm in the process of moving and can't spend much time online, so I
          can't recheck the article. But I think that's a press release from
          New Line Cinema about the Burger King deal. I wouldn't worry too
          much about what the press releases say. They are just trying to
          build up media interest, after all.
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
            I'm not shaking in my boots in fear at the prospect of grotty Burger King
            souvenirs, if that's what you mean. Burger King souvenirs, as opposed to
            announcements of them, have never impinged on my consciousness before, and
            there have been grotty LOTR-inspired (if "inspired" is the word) before,
            even predating Tolkien Enterprises.

            No, my amusement was at the juxtaposition of a plot summary consisting
            essentially of "Gandalf ... leads Frodo on his quest to destroy the magical
            ring that makes its wearer invisible, but at a price -- corruption" and
            stuff like the immediately following line, which reads "Both companies were
            typically tight-lipped about how much they paid to get Gandalf, Frodo and
            the Hobbits to come to 'The Home of the Whopper'."

            People who enjoy making fun of the handicapped might also be amused by
            reading advertising executives trying to describe the appeal of great
            fantasy: "It will really mirror the movie, it's all in the imagination.
            It's whatever you can imagine," and "New Line is delivering an epic film
            that truly delivers what made 'The Lord of the Rings' the phenomenon it is
            today."

            David Bratman