Re: [mythsoc] LORD OF RINGS AND ONION RINGS - PERFECT TOGETHER!

  • Matthew S Winslow
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
      On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:54:49 -0500 Joan Marie Verba <verba001@...>
      writes:
      > LORD OF RINGS AND ONION RINGS - PERFECT TOGETHER!
      > Christopher Lee as the evil Sauron.

      Y'know, I recently read LOTR aloud to my wife (her first time making it
      entirely through), and she kept on getting Saruman and Sauron mixed up --
      the names too similar, I guess. I guess she has company.

      > ever -- eclipsing the one for ``Austin Powers : The Spy Who Shagged
      Me''

      It's a dark day when LOTR and a Mike Myers movie are mentioned in the
      same press release.

      Matt Currently Reading: The Green Branch by Edith Pargeter

      "Americans keep telling us how successful their system is -- then they
      remind us
      not to stray too far from our hotel at night."
      -- A visiting European official, during the G-8 economic summit in Denver
      (1997)
      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        --- In mythsoc@y..., Matthew S Winslow <mithlond@j...> wrote:
        > On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:54:49 -0500 Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...>
        > writes:
        > > ever -- eclipsing the one for ``Austin Powers : The Spy Who
        > > Shagged Me''
        >
        > It's a dark day when LOTR and a Mike Myers movie are mentioned in
        > the same press release.

        Maybe "Shrek" will replace "Austin Powers" as the Mike Myers
        trademark movie.

        I can see the crossover slash fan fic now: Sauron and Lord Farquadd
        meet in a forest, and....
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          You couldn't make up something as satirical and self-condemnatory as this
          article.

          David Bratman
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
            > You couldn't make up something as satirical and self-condemnatory
            as this
            > article.

            I'm in the process of moving and can't spend much time online, so I
            can't recheck the article. But I think that's a press release from
            New Line Cinema about the Burger King deal. I wouldn't worry too
            much about what the press releases say. They are just trying to
            build up media interest, after all.
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
              I'm not shaking in my boots in fear at the prospect of grotty Burger King
              souvenirs, if that's what you mean. Burger King souvenirs, as opposed to
              announcements of them, have never impinged on my consciousness before, and
              there have been grotty LOTR-inspired (if "inspired" is the word) before,
              even predating Tolkien Enterprises.

              No, my amusement was at the juxtaposition of a plot summary consisting
              essentially of "Gandalf ... leads Frodo on his quest to destroy the magical
              ring that makes its wearer invisible, but at a price -- corruption" and
              stuff like the immediately following line, which reads "Both companies were
              typically tight-lipped about how much they paid to get Gandalf, Frodo and
              the Hobbits to come to 'The Home of the Whopper'."

              People who enjoy making fun of the handicapped might also be amused by
              reading advertising executives trying to describe the appeal of great
              fantasy: "It will really mirror the movie, it's all in the imagination.
              It's whatever you can imagine," and "New Line is delivering an epic film
              that truly delivers what made 'The Lord of the Rings' the phenomenon it is
              today."

              David Bratman