Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 602

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
      In a message dated 6/2/01 11:39:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      marcus@... writes:

      > A book about Tolkien by Humphrey Carpentier was re-released last year. I
      > don't remember the full title, but it is worth reading. It discusses
      > Tolkien's fascination with language as a large part of his mythology.
      > Sorry if this has been posted before.

      There was a new edition of his biography of Tolkien last year, but that
      doesn't contain anything about death and immortality, which was what was
      asked about. Neither does his book _The Inkings_.

    • Trudy Shaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
        marcus@... writes:

        > A book about Tolkien by Humphrey Carpentier was re-released last year. I
        > don't remember the full title, but it is worth reading. It discusses
        > Tolkien's fascination with language as a large part of his mythology.
        > Sorry if this has been posted before.

        There was a new edition of his biography of Tolkien last year, but that
        doesn't contain anything about death and immortality, which was what was
        asked about. Neither does his book _The Inkings_.

        The only other book that comes to mind is the new edition of _The Letters of Tolkien_ that was released. I don't have my copy handy, but I think Carpenter was an editor on that. It certainly contains some of Tolkien's thoughts on mythology, language, death and immortality. But, of course, it's not really *by* Carpenter.

        Trudy Shaw

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor