LORD OF RINGS AND ONION RINGS - PERFECT TOGETHER!

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2001
      LORD OF RINGS AND ONION RINGS - PERFECT TOGETHER!

      A Bilbo Baggins burger, perhaps? Frodo and fries? ``The Lord of the
      Rings''
      and Burger King's onion rings are cooking up some publicity.

      New Line Cinema said Thursday it signed its biggest promotional
      agreement
      ever to promote the much-anticipated screen version of J.R. Tolkien's
      classic tales of wizards and hobbits in Middle Earth.

      Fast-food giant Burger King Corp., will
      feature characters from the movie, which debuts Dec. 19, in more than
      10,000
      of its restaurants worldwide.

      ``Burger King is a family-friendly brand with high recognition and
      significant reach around the world,'' said Rolf Mittweg, president and
      chief
      operating officer of distribution and marketing for New Line Cinema.
      ``They
      are the perfect promotional partner for us.''

      ``The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring'' will star Elijah
      Wood
      as Frodo, Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins and Christopher Lee as the evil
      Sauron.
      Another notable English actor, Ian McKellen, plays the wizard Gandalf,
      who
      leads Frodo on his quest to destroy the magical ring that makes its
      wearer
      invisible, but at a price -- corruption.

      Both companies were typically tight-lipped about how much they paid to
      get
      Gandalf, Frodo and the Hobbits to come to ``The Home of the Whopper,''
      but
      New Line, a subsidiary of AOL Time Warner, said it was its biggest
      promotion
      ever -- eclipsing the one for ``Austin Powers : The Spy Who Shagged Me''
      in
      1999.

      Rose Polidoro, New Line's vice president for national promotions, told
      Reuters only that ``this is big.''

      But they were keeping the details secret to play into the magical spell
      of
      the classic tale of good versus evil.

      ``We are thinking of it like a present that you want to unwrap bit by
      bit,''
      she said. ``It will really mirror the movie, it's all in the
      imagination.
      It's whatever you can imagine.''

      Burger King, which just spent an estimated $20 million for a promotional
      tie-in for DreamWorks' box-office hit ``Shrek,'' also wouldn't say if
      Middle
      Earth figures would lord it over the onion rings, or if there would be
      magic
      rings hidden in the french fries.

      ``The literary significance of this property coupled with its superior
      entertainment value and tremendous built-in fan base, make it a smart
      fit
      for our global brand,'' said Richard Taylor, Burger King's vice
      president
      for U.S. marketing.

      ``New Line is delivering an epic film that truly delivers what made 'The
      Lord of the Rings' the phenomenon it is today,'' said Taylor.
    • Matthew S Winslow
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:54:49 -0500 Joan Marie Verba <verba001@...>
        writes:
        > LORD OF RINGS AND ONION RINGS - PERFECT TOGETHER!
        > Christopher Lee as the evil Sauron.

        Y'know, I recently read LOTR aloud to my wife (her first time making it
        entirely through), and she kept on getting Saruman and Sauron mixed up --
        the names too similar, I guess. I guess she has company.

        > ever -- eclipsing the one for ``Austin Powers : The Spy Who Shagged
        Me''

        It's a dark day when LOTR and a Mike Myers movie are mentioned in the
        same press release.

        Matt Currently Reading: The Green Branch by Edith Pargeter

        "Americans keep telling us how successful their system is -- then they
        remind us
        not to stray too far from our hotel at night."
        -- A visiting European official, during the G-8 economic summit in Denver
        (1997)
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          --- In mythsoc@y..., Matthew S Winslow <mithlond@j...> wrote:
          > On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 07:54:49 -0500 Joan Marie Verba <verba001@t...>
          > writes:
          > > ever -- eclipsing the one for ``Austin Powers : The Spy Who
          > > Shagged Me''
          >
          > It's a dark day when LOTR and a Mike Myers movie are mentioned in
          > the same press release.

          Maybe "Shrek" will replace "Austin Powers" as the Mike Myers
          trademark movie.

          I can see the crossover slash fan fic now: Sauron and Lord Farquadd
          meet in a forest, and....
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
            You couldn't make up something as satirical and self-condemnatory as this
            article.

            David Bratman
          • Michael Martinez
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
              > You couldn't make up something as satirical and self-condemnatory
              as this
              > article.

              I'm in the process of moving and can't spend much time online, so I
              can't recheck the article. But I think that's a press release from
              New Line Cinema about the Burger King deal. I wouldn't worry too
              much about what the press releases say. They are just trying to
              build up media interest, after all.
            • David S. Bratman
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2001
                I'm not shaking in my boots in fear at the prospect of grotty Burger King
                souvenirs, if that's what you mean. Burger King souvenirs, as opposed to
                announcements of them, have never impinged on my consciousness before, and
                there have been grotty LOTR-inspired (if "inspired" is the word) before,
                even predating Tolkien Enterprises.

                No, my amusement was at the juxtaposition of a plot summary consisting
                essentially of "Gandalf ... leads Frodo on his quest to destroy the magical
                ring that makes its wearer invisible, but at a price -- corruption" and
                stuff like the immediately following line, which reads "Both companies were
                typically tight-lipped about how much they paid to get Gandalf, Frodo and
                the Hobbits to come to 'The Home of the Whopper'."

                People who enjoy making fun of the handicapped might also be amused by
                reading advertising executives trying to describe the appeal of great
                fantasy: "It will really mirror the movie, it's all in the imagination.
                It's whatever you can imagine," and "New Line is delivering an epic film