Re: [mythsoc] [[mythsoc] Sales of Lewiss books]

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 1999
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > many of those stores only
      > do lightweight stuff and I've just happened to look in those stores.

      Well, yes. I suggested theological conservatism, but the Lifeway store I was
      in didn't seem to have any Francis Schaeffer, either, and he's as
      conservative as you can get, but requires some brain application from the
      reader.

      In DC five or six years ago, Schaeffer and Lewis were fairly visible in the
      Zondervan (now Family Books) store, but in the one here... nah.

      You can certainly get these titles from Christian Book Distributors, a big
      discount house which sells by mail order catalog. Probably from IVP
      (InterVarsity) too. I don't know if Logos Bookstores are still around...

      Mary S
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10, 1999
        Checked out a chain in the mall. Waldenbooks, I think it was.

        Saw no Lewis in the children's Intermediate section (which included l'Engle,
        so I guess was the right age group).

        In the SF section, two boxed Space Trilogies (& two or three editions of THE
        LORD OF THE RINGS). In the Literature section, one A MIND AWAKE Lewis
        anthology. Right next to it, a book whose spine said simply "Lewis THE
        MONK" -- I entertained myself imagining a CS Lewis fan spotting this,
        thinking "ah, a religious title by Lewis" and being well away with it before
        discovering it's some OTHER Lewis. (Matthew, to be exact).

        One modest bookcase contained all the "Literature" (as opposed to mere
        "Fiction") this store had to offer, anyway. I would not hold it up as an
        example in any sense; and I'm sure Barnes & Noble, or the local independent,
        Davis Kidd, would do better by our authors.

        Mary S