Re: [mythsoc] This ought to get some juices jangled...

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2001
      On the strength of this article, Mary, I may never want to be seen in
      public as a Tolkien authority again. And I got off well compared to Verlyn
      Flieger and Jane Chance, let alone Tom Shippey.

      That's not the way the author of the article sees it, of course. I wrote
      him and he replied. Oh, it was so balanced. Oh, if you didn't like it you
      must have been expecting a puff job. Oh, I love Tolkien.

      Orc-filth.

      David Bratman

      At 03:57 PM 5/22/2001 , you wrote:
      >Ah well, David, on the strength of this article you can now bill yourself as
      >an
      >
      >Internationally Recognized Tolkien Authority!
      >
      >Mary S (who once dressed up as a hobbit... a very tall hobbit...)

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2001
        From: <Stolzi@...>

        > Ah well, David, on the strength of this article you can now bill yourself
        as
        > an
        >
        > Internationally Recognized Tolkien Authority!

        Do you think I should get him one of those tweed jackets with the leather
        patches on the elbows? Oh, and a pipe!

        the Bratwife
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 7 , May 24, 2001
          > On the strength of this article, Mary, I may never want to be seen
          > in public as a Tolkien authority again. And I got off well
          > compared to Verlyn Flieger and Jane Chance, let alone Tom Shippey.

          If it makes you feel any better, Prospect.Org (or whomever published
          this article) asked Xenite.Org (and probably other well-known Tolkien
          sites) to pick up the story. I declined, although my reason was a
          bit more mundane. I've been reading defenses of Tolkien (even
          misguided ones) for something close on to 20 years.

          I told them to get back to me if they came up with something new and
          exciting.

          Your mileage may vary.