Re: [mythsoc] This ought to get some juices jangled...

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2001
      Ah well, David, on the strength of this article you can now bill yourself as
      an

      Internationally Recognized Tolkien Authority!

      Mary S (who once dressed up as a hobbit... a very tall hobbit...)
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2001
        On the strength of this article, Mary, I may never want to be seen in
        public as a Tolkien authority again. And I got off well compared to Verlyn
        Flieger and Jane Chance, let alone Tom Shippey.

        That's not the way the author of the article sees it, of course. I wrote
        him and he replied. Oh, it was so balanced. Oh, if you didn't like it you
        must have been expecting a puff job. Oh, I love Tolkien.

        Orc-filth.

        David Bratman

        At 03:57 PM 5/22/2001 , you wrote:
        >Ah well, David, on the strength of this article you can now bill yourself as
        >an
        >
        >Internationally Recognized Tolkien Authority!
        >
        >Mary S (who once dressed up as a hobbit... a very tall hobbit...)

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2001
          From: <Stolzi@...>

          > Ah well, David, on the strength of this article you can now bill yourself
          as
          > an
          >
          > Internationally Recognized Tolkien Authority!

          Do you think I should get him one of those tweed jackets with the leather
          patches on the elbows? Oh, and a pipe!

          the Bratwife
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 7 , May 24, 2001
            > On the strength of this article, Mary, I may never want to be seen
            > in public as a Tolkien authority again. And I got off well
            > compared to Verlyn Flieger and Jane Chance, let alone Tom Shippey.

            If it makes you feel any better, Prospect.Org (or whomever published
            this article) asked Xenite.Org (and probably other well-known Tolkien
            sites) to pick up the story. I declined, although my reason was a
            bit more mundane. I've been reading defenses of Tolkien (even
            misguided ones) for something close on to 20 years.

            I told them to get back to me if they came up with something new and
            exciting.

            Your mileage may vary.