Re: [mythsoc] Mythopoeic Award Finalists

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21, 2001
      At 08:36 AM 5/21/2001 , Steve Schaper wrote:

      >Is there any language about 'in the spirit of the Inklings'? Could it be
      >any clearer that Pullman hates and opposes the Inklings?

      To hold your religious/spiritual/aesthetic beliefs passionately and have
      them be behind everything you write (not necessarily indoctrination or
      propaganda) is very much in the spirit of the Inklings. Those beliefs do
      not necessarily have to be the same as the Inklings'.

      Perhaps Pullman does indeed go too far - I am not interested enough in his
      work to tell - but to disagree with the Inklings does not itself mean that
      you are not in their spirit.

      By contrast, to believe exactly what an Inkling believed ("an Inkling"
      rather than "the Inklings" because they are not identical) but to reproduce
      it mechanically and unimaginatively, as any number of Tolclones and Narnia
      clones have done, is not in the spirit of the Inklings at all. Any author
      of quality whose beliefs do resemble those of the Inklings will certainly
      differ from any of them at least as much as they differed from each other.

      Diane Joy Baker wrote,

      >> Well! So much for Mr Philip Pullman!
      >
      > Yeah, but what about the YA list? Did he make that one? ---djb

      Nobody else seems to have pointed this out, so I will: Ellie Farrell's
      original post included the finalists for all four awards.

      David Bratman